Author Topic: 'Chipping' the mk 6 GTI - in laymans terms!  (Read 9575 times)

Offline matchboy

• I live here
'Chipping' the mk 6 GTI - in laymans terms!
« on: 01 September 2009, 16:42 »
just having a chat with the finance guy at my dealer in prep for friday's collection day (woop woop) - he was telling me that i could have the car chipped by VW (they have their own company he said?) which would cost £500 and wouldn't invalidate the warrenty as it would be done through them.  he said it would put the bhp up to 256.

what's the sp on all this chipping lark?  i am not a techy when it comes to cars (i love driving but know little about under the bonnet stuff).  so does anyone know:

- how will this effect my fuel consumption?  although i drive hard i still like the theory that i'll get 36 ish combined
- how much extra speed will it give me (0-60 and 30-70)
- can the car cope with an extra 40 odd bhp?
- how will it effect my insurance premium?
- will it make that much difference and is it worth it in you chaps opinions?

thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: 01 September 2009, 16:50 by matchboy »
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: 'Chipping' the mk 6 GTI - in laymans terms!
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2009, 17:07 »
search the MK4, MK5 and Remapping Sections for lots of info - the subject has been covered a thousand times

the same principles apply to your new MK6

jist is - computer is plugged in, map uploaded, GTI now a PROPER GTI  :tongue:

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2009, 18:55 »
I wouldnt have got a gti if it couldnt be chipped  :wink:

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2009, 20:24 »
I know this will have been discussed in other forums but what's the general reaction of "regular" insurance companies to chipping? I'm with More Than, for example. Do you have to go down the specialit route once the car is chipped?
I only ask because 265hp souns very tempting!!!!

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2009, 21:11 »
I know this will have been discussed in other forums but what's the general reaction of "regular" insurance companies to chipping? I'm with More Than, for example. Do you have to go down the specialit route once the car is chipped?
I only ask because 265hp souns very tempting!!!!

admiral offer it on their list of mods.  iirc it didn't have a crazy effect on the quoted premium... something in the order of 50 quid or so.

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2009, 23:59 »
Might be worth a chat with Mr More Than then cos £50 is nothing really. I was expecting you to say hundreds!!

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2009, 00:35 »
just did a quick quote.  it actually was 100 quid extra with admiral and that was an engine chip up to 25% extra bhp.  i.e. up to 52bhp for the golf gti.
Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2009, 08:03 »
Superchips seem to be saying that the true output of the standard engine is 220hp and that their device increases power by 49hp to... err... 256hp. I can't quite get my head round their maths there and TBH it is putting me off buying their equipment a little. Have I missed something?

http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/GolfMk6GTi.pdf

Offline MDSS MK6

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2009, 08:38 »
When i chipped my audi a4, direct line basically asked what power increase in % terms i'd got, then stuck my premium up about £70 per year. In my case it was the alloys that really hurt, but then they're insured on value rather than anything else.

On the other hand, I think I'll check the car's wheel spinning ability as stock over the winter & worry about re-maps come next spring :smiley:
Cancelled Order
Mk5 R32 instead.....and change too:)

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2009, 09:11 »
I think I'll check the car's wheel spinning ability as stock over the winter & worry about re-maps come next spring :smiley:

very sensible, that's good advice - i think i might do that as well - cheers!
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....