Author Topic: Coil pack recommendations  (Read 9057 times)

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: Coil pack recommendations
« Reply #10 on: 07 August 2019, 12:52 »
06E905115E is the part number for the R8 coils. Make sure you get genuine VW ones though which are available online. There are knock off ones out there.

The R8 coils are a bit taller than 1.8T coil packs so chances are you won't be able to fit the stock engine cover with them.
You won't need the coilpack adapters either to hold them in place, the rubber boots on them do a good enough job.

R8 coils with NGK BKR7E plugs is what I have fitted to my 1.8T for the past 100k miles and I have never had to change a coilpack since I upgraded.

standard coils work perfect even on a mapped car r8s are just so you get the red tab  :whistle:

Offline davkav

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 07 August 2019, 13:03 »
Not in my experience and there countless more people with the same experience out there, having upgraded to the R8 coils only to find that there 1.8T idles and drives more smoothly.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 07 August 2019, 13:07 »
Not in my experience and there countless more people with the same experience out there, having upgraded to the R8 coils only to find that there 1.8T idles and drives more smoothly.
Well there not going to admit it's still the same   :grin: and you'll probably find people only buy the red r8s when standard ones fail as there cheaper
« Last Edit: 07 August 2019, 13:09 by barrym381 »

Offline davkav

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 07 August 2019, 13:13 »
I agree, some people are just going to buy into the colour upgrade etc. but the R8 coils have been proven to run a stronger spark than the 1.8T coils, which in turn allows a bigger gapped plug to be ran.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 07 August 2019, 13:14 »
I agree, some people are just going to buy into the colour upgrade etc. but the R8 coils have been proven to run a stronger spark than the 1.8T coils, which in turn allows a bigger gapped plug to be ran.

And it turns burns plug out quicker  :grin: really reliable

Offline jvoelcker

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 07 August 2019, 14:49 »
No it hasn't it's had a map no better fuel pump or nothing

Oh, do you know the car?
Cheers,

Julian

2000 ABT 1.8 Turbo GTI - full engine mods and body kit + bigger intercooler.

Offline jvoelcker

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 07 August 2019, 14:52 »
06E905115E is the part number for the R8 coils. Make sure you get genuine VW ones though which are available online. There are knock off ones out there.

The R8 coils are a bit taller than 1.8T coil packs so chances are you won't be able to fit the stock engine cover with them.
You won't need the coilpack adapters either to hold them in place, the rubber boots on them do a good enough job.

R8 coils with NGK BKR7E plugs is what I have fitted to my 1.8T for the past 100k miles and I have never had to change a coilpack since I upgraded.

OK, thanks.  I had thought the plugs would have been a better option, but not considered the coils.

Time to do a bit more research.
Cheers,

Julian

Offline jvoelcker

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 07 August 2019, 22:59 »

I see there are a few kits around to cope with the longer coils, did you make your own or buy a kit?
Cheers,

Julian

Offline davkav

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 08 August 2019, 08:55 »

I see there are a few kits around to cope with the longer coils, did you make your own or buy a kit?

You don't need the kits, the coil packs will work and stay in place perfectly without them.