Author Topic: 1.8t ABT GTI - is it a genuine ABT conversion? (edited with images now)  (Read 12357 times)

Offline jvoelcker

• Not said much yet
OK.  As far as I can tell now it was an ABT factory conversion from new and was then imported in to the UK.

It was originally owned by a racing driver so had all the toys from the outset, but I think it has had further remapping done more recently.

Unusually all the owners in the last 18 years have been within a 5 mile radius of a local town.
Cheers,

Julian

2000 ABT 1.8 Turbo GTI - full engine mods and body kit + bigger intercooler.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
OK.  As far as I can tell now it was an ABT factory conversion from new and was then imported in to the UK.

It was originally owned by a racing driver so had all the toys from the outset, but I think it has had further remapping done more recently.

Unusually all the owners in the last 18 years have been within a 5 mile radius of a local town.
What makes you think it's been remapped recently as surely if it's got all the other invoices for work it would have one for that and a print out of bhp

Offline jvoelcker

• Not said much yet
The last owner wasn't so good at keeping the paperwork and is the one who is supposed to have had it done, but as you know there are remaps and there are remaps.

Considering this has already had the engine tweaks from ABT and then the bigger intercooler it will need a custom remap to get the most our of it.

Once I have it up to scratch I'll aim to get it dynoed and the tuning checked anyway, purely out of interest.
Cheers,

Julian

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
The last owner wasn't so good at keeping the paperwork and is the one who is supposed to have had it done, but as you know there are remaps and there are remaps.

Considering this has already had the engine tweaks from ABT and then the bigger intercooler it will need a custom remap to get the most our of it.

Once I have it up to scratch I'll aim to get it dynoed and the tuning checked anyway, purely out of interest.
They didn't tweet the engine just added bigger intercooler and air intake then a map to get about 220bhp out them

Offline jvoelcker

• Not said much yet
They didn't tweet the engine just added bigger intercooler and air intake then a map to get about 220bhp out them

Having been in touch with the original owner, he bought it new from ABT UK back in 2000/2001 when they had a UK presence.

Whilst ABT don't have specific records that go that far back they believe that it would have had a standard package with the turbo boost being raised to 1.18bar and the fuelling increased by 15% producing the 142kW at 5800rpm.

The original owner raced VWs at the time, mainly the bigger engined Beetle, but they also raced the Golfs in the 'team' and he can't remember if any further tweaks were done at the time.

The bigger intercooler was added separately to the ABT work, and I am currently waiting for the manufacturer to confirm when that was added.

I have no idea if anything else has been done, but I'll be getting it remapped once I have finished sorting the issues and found a decent remapping company.
Cheers,

Julian

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Can you post a picture of the engine bay

Offline jvoelcker

• Not said much yet
Cheers,

Julian

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
The arz engine unless changed it will have the ko3 turbo but since it's still on standard intake I can't see the turbo been changed so the 142kw-190bhp is probably right on the limit and all I can see in that bay are standard bits
« Last Edit: 07 August 2019, 18:42 by barrym381 »

Offline jvoelcker

• Not said much yet
Ok.

What would the standard boost be?

It will be interesting to get it on a rolling road.

Any recommendations?
Cheers,

Julian

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Ok.

What would the standard boost be?

It will be interesting to get it on a rolling road.

Any recommendations?

About 0.8 but at age your cars at and value your going to spend nearly half its value on a map from r-tech or other reputable company to gain nothing