Author Topic: Advice - sudden coolant level drop  (Read 1290 times)

Offline martin998877

• GTI forum regular
Advice - sudden coolant level drop
« on: 14 November 2019, 08:52 »
Hi, I have a Mk 7 GTi, 3 years old but with a De Walt VW dealer warranty as bought from a main dealer in August. It had 13k miles when i bought it, 18k now, inspection service due in 4k miles.

Yesterday I got a low coolant level warning, came off the motorway. the coolant level was below min.  I (carefully!) undid the top, pressure was released and the coolant level climbed to about minimum.

Several hours later after parking I checked when cold, the level was just at the bottom of the expansion tank.  I filled it to between min and max (about 0.6 l).

Today at work, parking with the engine hot, the coolant was still midway between min/max.  Two hours later, engine cold, the level is very slightly lower (but not much surprisingly) so sill about half way between min/max.

If the level continues to drop slowly, what sort of things could be the cause?  I know there are discussions about water pumps leaking on here?  I can't see any leaks, but I'm not sure where to look.

Luckily it is under warranty, but any thoughts or advice would be welcomed.
Golf GTi Mark 7 owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Advice - sudden coolant level drop
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2019, 12:33 »
Quite often it seems there is a bleed from the actual level sensor itself or the water pump housing.

The other thing you sometimes see is an airlock - but if you have topped back up and its dropping again, then its a leak for sure.

If you have a warranty, use it.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
Re: Advice - sudden coolant level drop
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2019, 14:25 »
Common thing apparently - I had a waterpump done under warranty no issues.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!