Author Topic: How many fellow TCR owners are there on here?  (Read 13040 times)

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
Re: How many fellow TCR owners are there on here?
« Reply #60 on: 21 January 2021, 07:17 »
Do many of the TCR owners hit the over £40k luxury car tax bracket?

Mine qualified for the luxury tax.  I don't have a problem with that as any of the alternatives I briefly considered prior to buying the TCR would also have done once optioned to the same level. Totally understand the frustration for those where the dealer didn't make it clear at point of purchase however.
TCR 3 door

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #61 on: 21 January 2021, 11:37 »
Mine went in to the luxury car tax.

Is the price high for a Golf = Yes.

Was it worth not having the car I wanted (in terms of options) which I will probably keep for 6 years due to the difference in tax = No

Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline dobb3r

• Not said much yet
« Reply #62 on: 21 January 2021, 13:57 »
Mine was just shy of the luxury tax bracket. Although I purchased it second hand this was one of the stipulations I had that it had to be below the luxy tax bracket.

I’m going to be keeping this car for some time as it does everything I could want from a car.
2019 White TCR, 5 door, DCC.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #63 on: 21 January 2021, 18:54 »
Mine had a pretty big spec but was a 19 plate pre Akra model so still crept under the lux tax.
Reifnitz, black roof, side chequers, Dynaudio, heated screen. It was bought at five months old as ex-sales manager’s car.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #64 on: 22 January 2021, 01:45 »
Apologies if this has been answered previously, but does the TCR pick up the Edition 40's sharper steering (courtesy of the redesigned aluminum front sub-frame, i think).

My main grip with my 7.5 GTI is the sharp but dull steering.  That is, the lack of feel.  Wondering if a TCR may remedy that?

As an aside, I'm pretty sure I won't be in a mk8, due to digital everything.  So....keep the 7.5GTI, or consider a TCR?
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #65 on: 22 January 2021, 09:27 »
I'm sure the TCR does have the aluminium sub frame and sharper steering.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #66 on: 22 January 2021, 14:05 »
I'm not sure it does have the subframe actually. I couldn't find any reference to it.

It's a great car though regardless.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #67 on: 22 January 2021, 14:58 »
Just had a look under my TCR and it's not got the aluminium subframe. I'm sure I read somewhere though that the aluminium subframe was added perhaps when the Akra exhaust was but I can't remember where. I don't think the subframe though will improve steering feel as it is a straight swap on a GTI, it'll be other different components on the CSS (and possibly the CS). As for the TCR, I can only compare with a 7PP and with normal road driving but I can't say I've noticed much of a difference in steering. It might be a case of having to drive them back to back to appreciate any difference.

As for getting a TCR, provided you are happy with DSG then I'd say yes, go for it.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #68 on: 22 January 2021, 15:44 »
If anyone fancied swapping to the aluminium subframe, this seems to be a bargain - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Audi-A3-Sub-Frame-2017-TFSI-5Q0-199-369-G-04-/124358939865?redirect=mobile
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #69 on: 22 January 2021, 16:58 »
If anyone fancied swapping to the aluminium subframe, this seems to be a bargain - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Audi-A3-Sub-Frame-2017-TFSI-5Q0-199-369-G-04-/124358939865?redirect=mobile

I would politely suggest that is almost certainly from a chopshop.

Unless its possible to run a supposed car breakers from a block of flats.

Don't encourage crime....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC