Author Topic: New here. Wheel spin problem  (Read 1505 times)

Offline midvale99

• Just got here
New here. Wheel spin problem
« on: 19 January 2009, 21:32 »
Hi Ive just joined here after trying to search the net for a 0-60 time for my Mk 4 GTi Turbo 150. 

Anyway, I have a bit of a strange "problem" with my car in that I have to accelerate very carefully from rest (or anywhere near rest) to avoid HEAVY amounts of wheel spin. Now my tires arent anywhere near new but certainly arent bald enough to warrant that amount of spin.

I have a feeling that it might be something down to my shocks since its not always just wheel spin but sometimes a juddering as if its related to the suspension. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

Also, whilst Im here, at what revs does the turbo kick in? Not sure if I can feel/hear it that easily. Is there anyway of boosting it or anything?

(You may realise that I may not be quite as much of a petrol head  as some on this forum but please be kind!)

Thank you in advance

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: New here. Wheel spin problem
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2009, 21:34 »
welcome

have you checked your engine mounts??  the juddering can come from worn mounts - common one for failure is your dog bone mount - there is info in the maintenance section about the R32 dog bone mount which most people here would recommend you upgrade too should you need to

:smiley:

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2009, 21:45 »
ps  Standard 60 time is 8.5 secs for the 150.

Perhaps you're car is mapped if you're getting bad wheelspin??

My car spins in 3rd gear uphill!!!   :grin:
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2009, 21:46 »
Learn to drive it  :wink:

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2009, 21:51 »
Learn to drive it  :wink:

:D

Sorry - That should've said CAN spin in 3rd uphill - I've got a feather-like touch, me.............................................................!!!  :P
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline midvale99

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2009, 22:08 »
Thanks for your prompt replies.

No I have not checked my engine mounts but will do asap. Im no expert (as you may have guessed) but one thing telling me that its not the engine mounts is the fact that the juddering only happens in 1st gear from near stand-still. Even when I accelerate hard and fast in second I dont get the juddering. Could it still be the mounts even though it happens only in 1st?

As for it being remapped, I very much doubt it because I know the guy that bought it from new and he doesnt seem like the sort to do that kinda thing.

No comments about the shocks though. Is that cos its unlikely?

Offline GOLF_STU

• I live here
  • THE_GIT
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2009, 23:29 »
tbh its fairly normal i cant pull away quickly without loads of wheelspin  :sad:

fear is temporary, regret lasts forever...
V TEC KICKED IN Y'ALL!!!

Offline Bjork

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2009, 23:32 »
If it's only recently happening you've got to bear in mind that the roads are wet and grimy with grit and loadsa other muck at this time of year making them "greasy".

Offline dai-cymru

• I live here
  • 1989 MK2 16V
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2009, 02:03 »
Have you checked the clutch? could be a sign of clutch judder