Author Topic: Dipped lights have gone off?!!  (Read 401 times)

Offline Mk2Kezza

• Here all the time
Dipped lights have gone off?!!
« on: 05 January 2008, 14:39 »
Went out in the car last night and noticed that the dipped beam flashed off then back on once or twice. Got home parked up, then went to go back out, no dipped at all. Sidelights work and so does main beam.

I have an uprated relay installed. Anyone got asny ideas?

I'm about to go and have a nose at the wiring etc, but i'm not sure what would cause them to go off then back on - a loose wire maybe?
 :embarassed:
<br />Almost finished.....

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Dipped lights have gone off?!!
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2008, 17:07 »
Swap out the relay for a known good one and check the connections.  As the standard lights don't use a relay in the circuit you have an upgrade that includes a relay.  It will also include a bunch of non-standard wiring, which you will need to check the connections on.  If there are suspect connectors, pull them apart and spray with Servisol before re-connecting.  Anything like this in the engine bay should be properly shrouded to keep out the wet.  If it isn't then you need to look into doing this.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Mk2Kezza

• Here all the time
Re: Dipped lights have gone off?!!
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2008, 20:52 »
Cheers Diamond. Checked over the wires of the uprated relay and found that there was a loose connection to the inline fuses! It had satrted to melt the fuse casiing - all sorted now and I have lights again!!

Handy on the  winter  :wink:
<br />Almost finished.....