Author Topic: The cycling thread  (Read 30543 times)

Offline charlie

• I live here
Re: The cycling thread
« Reply #10 on: 10 February 2015, 14:06 »
Looking into getting a garmin 200 what thoughts people  :smiley:
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 10 February 2015, 14:43 »
I've got a Garmin Edge 810 and it's really good, but it all depends what you want it to do.

As well as recording my rides and uploading them to Garmin Connect (similar to Strava I guess), it gives me navigation on pre-loaded routes. Basically you can plot a route on the Garmin Connect site by marking points on a map just like Google Maps, then upload it to your device. It will then give you turn by turn navigation instructions. The base maps are pretty rubbish, so it's well worth spending £30 on a UK mapping SD card.

I tried it in the woods last week having pre-loaded a route, but as it didn't recognise any of the tracks as roads, it didn't navigate me. I still recorded my ride tho' so it still got added to my monthly total.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline charlie

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 10 February 2015, 15:28 »
Cheers for the advice dubber I went out today and lost my ride on strava through accidentally pressing the delete button on my iPhone. Reading into it a bit on the web I might go for the 510 bundle with HR and cadence monitor so I can use it on my turbo.  :undecided:
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 10 February 2015, 15:29 »
Got Garmin Edge 500, with cadence.  Excellent.  They are highly customisable and pretty much does everything dubber says (except his is the fancier version).  You can configure the device to show exactly what you want on a number of screens in sequence.   Download the Garmin Connect software to your computer and when you've completed you training, run, whatever, it automatically uploads all the info and stats, analysis of your activity.  Over time you build up your training history.  Also you can disable the GPS and use static on a turbo.

As with a turbo trainer, imo it's a must if you are serious about your cycling.
« Last Edit: 10 February 2015, 15:36 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

VW BUSH

« Reply #14 on: 10 February 2015, 20:08 »
I use a basic 50 quid speedo.
Lost too much good stuff in tumbles and to thieves.

Got my holiday planned, pondering doing Ventoux as you can see it from the in laws kitchen. ......
Hire a bike take the day to puff up it a and coast back down or get pissed on Paul Ricard 51 in the sunshine.
 :grin:

Offline charlie

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 12 February 2015, 10:36 »
I've got my beedy eye on either a garmin edge 510 or the 810  :whistle:

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Dolly

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 13 February 2015, 20:48 »
Has anyone got any events lined up for this year? There are more and more been organised around my neck of the woods.

I did the Ludlow Tors 100K last year, so will do that again. I've also signed up for the Shropshire Hills Challenge in June which is another 100K and will probably have a go at the Welsh Raider in October.

I did the Shropshire Hills last year, really enjoyed it. We did the 70 mile Route but because my friend is abit crazy we cycled to and from the event, notching up 105 miles / 169km!

Think we are doing it this year but the 100 mile course, driving to and from the event.

Ive got a HOY Sa Calobra .004 11 Speed 2014 Road Bike, which i won in an SIS give away!! nothing fancy but does the job

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 14 February 2015, 13:50 »
I thought the Shropshire Hills was just the one 100K route. There is another ride from Ludlow in October that has a choice of distances as that starts and finishes at the racecourse.

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #19 on: 14 February 2015, 21:34 »
Honest question here, what's the advantage of having a garmin doofler over a mobile running strava?

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.