Author Topic: US EPA accuses VW of cheating in oil burner tests  (Read 11567 times)

Offline corgi

• I live here
Re: US EPA accuses VW of cheating in oil burner tests
« Reply #20 on: 01 October 2015, 13:24 »
Update the software on the ECU...

They say that it will not affect the performance... but do you believe them?

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 01 October 2015, 15:03 »

Performance or mpg - i'd expect one of those to suffer, otherwise they'd have not needed the cheat in the first place. Unless they didn't have the tech/knowhow for EU5 that they do for EU6.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 01 October 2015, 15:11 »
The mk7 tdi is the ea288, but i've done plenty of ea189s on the dyno generally you just switch off the traction control and once the abs registers the rear wheel speed sensor faults it just powers through.

Chris at CC Tuning mapped my 2011 Passat. To get it to work on the rollers, he went through a sequence of pressing the brake pedal and indicating (or something like that)
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline GTD_777

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 02 October 2015, 10:19 »
I logged a complaint with VW when this news first aired. Had a text to call them yesterday quoting my VIN. They checked and confirmed my car isn't affected. O have therefore asked for this in writing. Can imagine being hammered on the residuals with out that piece of paper.

Suggest you all do the same. They apparently have a list of all the affected VINs so can confirm in minutes.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 02 October 2015, 13:05 »
Can you imagine the uproar if people had the BHP or MPG cut by a considerable amount?
Would that not be grounds for returning the car as its clearly not what it was advertised at before buying it?

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 02 October 2015, 13:07 »

Performance or mpg - i'd expect one of those to suffer, otherwise they'd have not needed the cheat in the first place. Unless they didn't have the tech/knowhow for EU5 that they do for EU6.

If its now just the know how /software update, you would think they would be altering the cars on the quiet when they were back for service / work done and nobody would know.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 02 October 2015, 13:14 »
I logged a complaint with VW when this news first aired. Had a text to call them yesterday quoting my VIN. They checked and confirmed my car isn't affected. O have therefore asked for this in writing. Can imagine being hammered on the residuals with out that piece of paper.

Suggest you all do the same. They apparently have a list of all the affected VINs so can confirm in minutes.

It is concerning but I'm not sure I'd go to that length.
Audi are in the midst of setting up a self service check which I'm sure VW will be doing the same
https://www.audi.co.uk/content/audi/about-audi/latest-news/volkswagen-group-uk-announces-action-plan-to-modify-diesel-vehicles-with-ea-189-eu5-engines.html

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 02 October 2015, 15:53 »
Audi are in the midst of setting up a self service check which I'm sure VW will be doing the same
https://www.audi.co.uk/content/audi/about-audi/latest-news/volkswagen-group-uk-announces-action-plan-to-modify-diesel-vehicles-with-ea-189-eu5-engines.html

Yes, VW, Skoda and Seat have the same news item on their websites.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 02 October 2015, 18:24 »

If its now just the know how /software update, you would think they would be altering the cars on the quiet when they were back for service / work done and nobody would know.

How do you know they didn't?  :whistle:

I'm sure I put it on the forum at the time, but my mpg took a bit of a dive and the car took longer to warm up after my first service on the MK7 GTD.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #29 on: 02 October 2015, 19:27 »
You can already check if your VIN is affected:

http://info.volkswagen.de/de/de/home.html?tab=check-own-car

If you get this as a result then you are NOT affected:

Lieber Volkswagen Kunde,

wir möchten Ihnen bestätigen, dass das Fahrzeug mit der von Ihnen eingegebenen Fahrgestellnummer WVWZZZAUZEP533xxx nicht von der Software betroffen ist, die Stickoxidwerte (NOx) im Prüfstandlauf (NEFZ) optimiert.

If you get this as a result then you got f....d:

Lieber Volkswagen Kunde,

wir müssen Sie leider informieren, dass der in Ihrem Fahrzeug mit der Fahrgestellnummer WVWZZZ1KZ9W491xxx eingebaute Dieselmotor vom Typ EA189 von einer Software betroffen ist, die Stickoxidwerte (NOx) im Prüfstandlauf (NEFZ) optimiert. Wir versichern Ihnen jedoch, dass Ihr Fahrzeug technisch sicher und fahrbereit ist!
« Last Edit: 03 October 2015, 15:08 by itavaltalainen »
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles