Author Topic: Oil Filler Cap Oil Colour  (Read 10293 times)

Offline Optimus prime

• GTI forum regular
Re: Oil Filler Cap Oil Colour
« Reply #20 on: 08 September 2015, 21:25 »
Why did you need to top up the oil if it was only serviced 1k ago?  These cars should do at least 12k min before any top up is required.  Mine is still on max after nearly 4k since oil service

Offline ChrisGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 08 September 2015, 21:32 »
Your right, l forgot to mention that when l spoke to them, but they will have an email in the morning to document that.  They did say expect to see some oil burnt during the first 10k, however to lose some in less that 1k isn't right either.

This idea sounds more plausable.

Offline Optimus prime

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 08 September 2015, 21:43 »
Ok Chris lets rewind a little is the car brand new from VW and your the first owner?  If so what's with the oil service? Or are you a second owner like me with a car still under warranty?

Offline ChrisGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 08 September 2015, 21:57 »
The car is new to me but not new, l am the second owner.  It is a 64 plate car with 8k on the clock.  I bought it from VW direct.  VW said they serviced it prior to me taking ownership.

I was hoping to put my new Milltek Exhaust on it tomorrow, but might hold on that for now...

If they have put the incorrect oil in it, it makes me wonder if that might have caused excessive during that time, but l guess that will be hard to prove.

Offline Optimus prime

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 08 September 2015, 22:07 »
The car is new to me but not new, l am the second owner.  It is a 64 plate car with 8k on the clock.  I bought it from VW direct.  VW said they serviced it prior to me taking ownership.

I was hoping to put my new Milltek Exhaust on it tomorrow, but might hold on that for now...

If they have put the incorrect oil in it, it makes me wonder if that might have caused excessive during that time, but l guess that will be hard to prove.

Ok same as mine 64 plate but I purchased at 13k when it was also serviced now showing 17k with no oil loss.  A word of warning while the car is still under warranty do not change it from standard as any mod may give them cause not to honour any warranty claim, that includes exhausts

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 09 September 2015, 16:50 »
Some engines do and will burn oil and at vastly different rates. My gtd has never needed a drop in two years and has also never had yellow crap under the oil cap either and i do 3 miles to work and 3 miles back. If its been serviced at a VW dealership then its unlikely they will have used the incorrect oil as all diesels use the same long life oil now. It might be worth asking VW for any previous service history or previous dealer visits to see if the previous owner has had any issues. You never know but it might be a major issue that the previous owner had.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #26 on: 09 September 2015, 17:39 »
My GTD does about half a litre of oil about every 8k miles or thereabouts.

Oil cosumption is definitely a factor of how you use it (big long motorway drives or small daily commutes)

I'll have a look at mine in a sec and see if I've got the "yellow peril" - can't say I've paid much attention when I've been tipping liquid 24 carat gold Castrol oil into it - I'm usually too busy grimacing at the price!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ChrisGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 09 September 2015, 19:40 »
I've managed to arrange a meeting with the After Sales manager, whilst the car is being looked,at, l didn't think about previous issues, but l'll certainly raise the point - thanks.
« Last Edit: 09 September 2015, 21:13 by ChrisGTD »

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #28 on: 09 September 2015, 20:48 »
Colour could stem from dealer using castrol professional oils.... they have dye added in...
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline ChrisGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 09 September 2015, 21:31 »
It seems the Castrol Performance requires a UV light, however it could be an oil dye to help source an engine leak.