Author Topic: Road tax - 5dr DSG GTD  (Read 8156 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Road tax - 5dr DSG GTD
« Reply #10 on: 27 April 2015, 10:01 »
I just remembered where the weights will be... in the brochure!

It doesn't tell me about 3 vs 5 door weight differences... maybe they are exactly the same... but I doubt it!

Things that it does show though are fuel consumption figures which are only different for DSG equipped 3/5 door vehicles - the manual box ones are identical.

It also shows me that DSG adds 30kg to the weight 1850kg vs 1880kg, which is approx. 1.6% heavier, which doesn't account for the ~10% increase in CO2 emmissions on its own, which either means that weight adds to emmisions in a non-linear way or that its a combination of extra weight and inefficiency - the latter sounds likely.

I am still 100% surprised that a 3 door and a 5 door weigh *exactly* the same. I find that hard to believe.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 27 April 2015, 10:40 »
Just had one last stab at this, going to VW Germany and reading their brochure (I've noticed VW Germany have a lot better information than their poorer UK relatives!)

It seems in Germany there are only two CO2 figures published for the Mk7 GTD, 109g for manual, 119g for DSG.

Weird.

Also, no extra information about weights either.

I did learn that the GTD Estate is known as a "GTD Variant" in Germany though :)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 27 April 2015, 13:30 »
I just remembered where the weights will be... in the brochure!

It doesn't tell me about 3 vs 5 door weight differences... maybe they are exactly the same... but I doubt it!

Things that it does show though are fuel consumption figures which are only different for DSG equipped 3/5 door vehicles - the manual box ones are identical.

It also shows me that DSG adds 30kg to the weight 1850kg vs 1880kg, which is approx. 1.6% heavier, which doesn't account for the ~10% increase in CO2 emmissions on its own, which either means that weight adds to emmisions in a non-linear way or that its a combination of extra weight and inefficiency - the latter sounds likely.

I am still 100% surprised that a 3 door and a 5 door weigh *exactly* the same. I find that hard to believe.

The 5 door model weighs 32kg more than the 3 door, and DSG weighs about 18kg more. A 5 door DSG weighs 50kg more than a 3 door manual. They must have tried so hard to have the 3 door DSG scrape in under 120g CO2 per km that the 5 door or an average for both 3 and 5 doors wouldn't cut it. My dad pays significantly more road tax for his 5 door DSG GTD than I do for my 5 door manual.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 27 April 2015, 13:35 »
Sounds like some sort of skullduggery has happened there then!

But yes, 5dr DSG is £110 VED for 2015 and no doubt even more difference in 2016...

Even more of a kick in the sack if you are a BIK payer!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 27 April 2015, 14:06 »
Unless the DSG is noticeably less efficient than the manual, you'd expect a 3 door DSG to come in at £20 VED with the 5 door manual as it weighs 14kg less, rather than coming in at £30 VED. Seems to me then that the difference between manual and DSG is more important than small weight differences attributed to the number of doors in determining CO2 emissions banding.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline J400uk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 27 April 2015, 18:00 »
RHD might have something to do with it also

I'm sure I remember back when the MK6 first came out the 2.0 TDI 110 and 140 models had lower Co2 in LHD EU markets compared to UK.
2015 Golf GTD 2.0 TDI 184 PS 6-speed DSG 5 Door Tornado Red