Author Topic: Brilliant mpg - why ?  (Read 6131 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Brilliant mpg - why ?
« on: 28 March 2015, 11:23 »
Did my usual drive home from work last night. Nothing unusual, crawling in the usual spots etc. and the overall time of the journey was around the same as usual (+/- 5 mins), ambient temperature at 10.5 deg C, and when I arrived home, I checked my journey stats, and was surprised to see the best mpg I've ever had since owning the car - 63.4mpg according to the computer. My normal "average" is around the 50-54 mark.

I then noticed that as I'd been messing with VCDS at lunchtime, I'd turned the climate control system completely off using the "OFF" button, and there it had remained. Can the turning off the climate control really account for the difference or was this most likely a fluke ?
« Last Edit: 28 March 2015, 11:24 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Brilliant mpg - why ?
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2015, 11:30 »
10 degrees after a day of higher temps should make for an optimum journey... its probably also not trying to heat or cool the car either - even if you hadn't knocked it off.

I noticed last night was a good run for me too btw..
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2015, 13:03 »
Unless you're going heavy on the aircon when it warms up a bit, or heavy on the heating (rear windscreen, wing mirrors, heated seats all on together with aircon for demisting), the mpg seems to shoot up above 8C ambient temp on the GTD like no other TDI I have previously owned. Modest use of the preheater to maintain 16C in the cabin at a low fan speed without aircon seems to have no measurable mpg penalty for me when ambient temp is over 5C.

At 12C on Thursday afternoon, coming home from work, I drove the car hard on my 13 mile commute and still got 49mpg, that might've been 38mpg a few weeks ago at 2C on the morning commute.

The cold seems to kill GTD mpg the way it is set up for EU6 compliance (less air in and compressed makes for less heat generated in the compression cycle, poorer mpg for longer while warming up, as well as less generated NOx - probably why the MK7 TDIs take an age to warm up), make the most of the warmer weather.

Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2015, 12:00 »
I notice this on Friday too - 55mpg on a 35 mile trip (mainly M25 at 5.30pm too). Ambiant temp was 13.5c.

Offline Dave the Cat

• Not said much yet
  • CSG Golf GTD
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2015, 15:44 »
I suspect we are now coming off the winter diesel mix which has a negative impact on the MPG - roll on the summer  :grin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_diesel_fuel#United_Kingdom

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 31 March 2015, 16:00 »
Yes, almost certainly its the winter diesel now you point it out...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 31 March 2015, 16:11 »
Winter mix doesn't come into it that much, it's only 2% less calorific than Summer diesel (in the UK, where our Winter stuff isn't that far removed from our Summer stuff due to our "mild" winters. Cold starts with low (less than 8C) ambient temp kill mpg, the shorter the journey, the bigger the effect.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 09 April 2015, 07:39 »
Well the good weather is certainly helping my MPG nicely now. With an ambient last night on my way home of 17°C for my usual journey where in winter I was getting around the 50-55mpg mark, last night I got....wait for it... 65.4mpg over 18 miles !

That's the best I've ever had and is only 5% off the advertised Extra Urban figure for my model (2.0 ltr 184PS TDI BMT DSG - 5-door) advertised at 68.9 mpg.

I know my computer in the car reads about 1.5% optimistic, but that should still equate to a real 64.5mpg Unreal for a car with just short of 190hp !

Oh, and I have been doing a "test" over the last few weeks. It been pretty cold most mornings when I set off (at around 6.45am it's been around the 2-5°C mark). So what I have been trying is switching the climate control fully off (by hitting the "OFF" button naturally), and only switching it on when the car's temperature gauge is about halfway between cold and normal, and I have regularly seen an MPG drop of around 4-5mpg for each journey.

I don't know if this is the electric PET heater taking the load or what, but it does make a much bigger difference than it has even done in any of my other cars. The car also seems to warm up between 1.5-2 miles sooner than if would otherwise.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2015, 07:42 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 09 April 2015, 11:01 »
I've just been turning the climate control off but leaving the heating on for my 3 mile journey to work and have been getting 40mpg regularly.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Cossieian

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 09 April 2015, 16:06 »
I've just been turning the climate control off but leaving the heating on for my 3 mile journey to work and have been getting 40mpg regularly.

Forgive my stupidity but how do you do that :huh:
Current: MK7 Golf R (Limestone Grey) DSG, 19 Prets, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, High Beam Assist, Apple Connect, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf R (Tornado Red) DSG, Winter Pack, Keyless, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf GTD (Pure White)