Author Topic: New member, just about to order GTD  (Read 15280 times)

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
Re: New member, just about to order GTD
« Reply #10 on: 17 December 2014, 11:30 »
I think the biggest difference is visually, the screen size and the Nav graphics. There are obviously a few extra features, but none seem to be killer (for me.)

Personally I didn't feel the need for the bigger screen, and the standard Nav already felt a bit on the steep side for me. I'm pretty into my tech but I've never been in my car and wished the screen was bigger, it does the job great.

If I sat in in a car with a Nav Pro I would probably want one, but not for the money!

I would recommend DCC for the money over the Pro, but it depends on what is important to you of course.

Word of warning... you may end up like me, I joined this forum around the time I put my order in, before I knew it I had added 4 or 5 options thanks to reviews and comments on here :D I don't regret any of them though, whatever you go for - it's all put together brilliantly.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 17 December 2014, 12:33 »
Also what are the benefits of the nav pro over the discovery version?  Is it worth the extra £800?

Yes and No  :grin:

Now that the car's over a year old and the money used to buy it is a distant memory, I'm glad I have it. The screen is quite a bit larger and higher resolution and in my mind, finishes off the dash really well.

The navigation is really quick and redraws are almost instant, and I really like the 3d building representations when driving in the bigger cities.

Other than that, you have a built in HDD most of which is used for storing the maps, but leaving you about (from memory) 16gb for music files. The "CD" slot in the glovebox is also a DVD player and will happily play movies, and both SD card slots are able to be used for music (rather than one being used for navigation).

It's just incrementally better all round than the standard Nav unit (which itself by all accounts is very good), but the bigger screen for me is it's biggest benefit.

However, if I was spec'ing again, I would have to seriously consider it's merits over the standard unit as the £800 extra is a lot of dosh !
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #12 on: 17 December 2014, 16:15 »
I'd definitely not spec it again, instead I'd spend the money on a decent tomtom with proper traffic data on it - the NavPro is terrible for handling traffic.

Personally, I'd stick to the basic audio system and add Dynaudio.

When they finally bring out all the stuff you can read about in this month's VW mag, THEN it will be worth it. Until then its just a poor relative to a decent satnav unit.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 17 December 2014, 17:57 »
Yeah but it's not just a sat nav which a tom tom is. It's like comparing apples and oranges! I don't like things stuck to my windscreen and hate lose cables that you get with a sat nav whereas the in built nav as sootchucker said finishes the dash off perfectly. I've had no issues at all with traffic, rerouting etc etc.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 18 December 2014, 08:41 »
Yeah but it's not just a sat nav which a tom tom is. It's like comparing apples and oranges! I don't like things stuck to my windscreen and hate lose cables that you get with a sat nav whereas the in built nav as sootchucker said finishes the dash off perfectly. I've had no issues at all with traffic, rerouting etc etc.

You might; however, I'd rather have £1400 in my pocket... My £300 TomTom offers better functionality, similar graphics and better performance than the Pro Nav... What VW charges for NavPro is an outrage, as an option it should be no more than £500...

£1700? They can see you coming... :laugh:

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline Jammy1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 18 December 2014, 11:18 »

You might; however, I'd rather have £1400 in my pocket... My £300 TomTom offers better functionality, similar graphics and better performance than the Pro Nav... What VW charges for NavPro is an outrage, as an option it should be no more than £500...

£1700? They can see you coming... :laugh:

My sentiments exactly.  The built in traffic simply isn't as good as TomTom HD/Live either.  I use TomTom on my iPhone 6 with a Ram x mount (rock solid) in the bottom right hand corner of the windscreen.  Personally I find it easier to glance at than the central built in screen.  I routed a cable from the central console to the right hand cubby, so all you see is a little black cable going from the cubby to the iPhone, it tucks away when not in use  The bluetooth can hook up and give instructions through the speakers if needed too.  If the traffic was anywhere near as comprehensive as TomTom AND it was about half the price I might think about it, until then I'm sticking to other options.  £45 vs £750...it was a no brainer for me  :smiley:
Golf GTD, Tornado Red, 5dr, Manual, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Keyless and Winter Pack.  Ordered 15/03/14.  Estimated BW22. Confirmed BW25.  Collected 17/07/14.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 19 December 2014, 07:21 »
The last time I checked you couldn't get a reversing camera to show on a tom tom or dab radio etc. You can't compare two things the do different things well. Vw have never stated that the nav pro is the best at traffic but what it does is good enough for most people. In built systems are always expensive and if you look across the other marques they are even more expensive. Some people like stand alone sat navs others don't buy each system has its merits and failures.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 19 December 2014, 07:35 »
To be fair though, the standard radio screen would show that reversing camera's output, you don't need Nav to spec the camera. For what it is (considering most or all of the hardware is already place on the standard radio set-up), you pay a hell of a lot of money for even the standard Nav. A bigger screen and a small hard drive (which would cost you coppers to buy one for your PC at home) on the Nav Pro look even less good value for money.

They should ditch the normal Nav option and just offer Pro for a little more than the standard set-up is currently. If you only occasionally use or need a Nav, having a bolt-on Tom-Tom is no great hardship.

Most of the VW options list look very poor value for money vs comparable 3rd party options, but there is always that "i've got to have it" mentality for certain items that the car manufacturers rely on to really boost their profits as there'll be a far bigger mark-up on those than the main car.
« Last Edit: 19 December 2014, 07:49 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 19 December 2014, 14:33 »
The last time I checked you couldn't get a reversing camera to show on a tom tom or dab radio etc. You can't compare two things the do different things well. Vw have never stated that the nav pro is the best at traffic but what it does is good enough for most people. In built systems are always expensive and if you look across the other marques they are even more expensive. Some people like stand alone sat navs others don't buy each system has its merits and failures.

I don't need a reversing camera I can turn my head and look out of the back window - that, in conjunction with the mirrors, has served me well for almost 30 years. The Golf is a hatchback not some 20 foot long leviathan with extrmities that are difficult to see... And if I'd wanted a reversing camera, I could have specified it without having to spec Nav Pro.

I have a DAB radio - it came as standard. I have the Dynaudio option, I'm quite happy. In my BMW 123d, I had the standard stereo which, when I heard it, I upgraded with a third party system (which sounded fantastic) for much less than the Harman-Kardon upgrade. Incidentally, the Dynaudio option on the Golf is pretty good value, the HK on the BMWs isn't very good...

I have a TomTom which I stick on a windscreen mount and run the cable to the USB socket. I'm prepared to have an unsightly cable for a saving of about £1400...

The point I am making is that some are prepared to spend an extortionate amount of money to specify Nav Pro which is less functional than a £300 TomTom. That's fine it is their money but I'll never understand why and all the justification is quite funny... If I was fussy, I suppose I could hard-wire the TomTom in and it would look tidier but my Golf's a company car and I just can't be bothered.

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 19 December 2014, 22:40 »
Maybe you can turn your neck round to reverse but others can't including myself at the moment. Nothing to do with the size of the car speccing a rear camera but it's also more expensive to retro fit after as are most things. I can't see the point of dynaudio as the standard set up is just fine and the nav pro is not less functional than a tom tom so don't really understand what your getting at. Everyone has different needs for a car and everyone's options are bespoke to them and to be honest if you really look at the options list only 1 or 2 are probably worth speccing and neither navigation or dynaudio would be on that list  :wink: