Author Topic: Mk7 GTD ECU Remap from Carbon Chiptuning! Case Study with Dyno Dynamics plot :-)  (Read 23978 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict

Equally, given how the ECU works, it will be interesting to see the power outputs of a car fitted with a tuning box after 12 months

Can you elaborate on what is meant by this? Are you saying the ECU will learn to "correct" the modified signals of the box in time, or something else to erode the output gains? Not sure how it would be "aware" of the modifications if there is no feedback from the rail and boost sensors.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Carbon-Chiptuning

• Forum Supporter
  • Not said much yet
  • Carbon Chiptuning
Hey Folks,

Thought I’d better make a quick post to address some of the questions raised here......

@Monkeyhanger

“Just look at the meticulous work that the tuning company had to go to just to apply the map”

I’ll take that as a compliment – Thanks!  :grin:

“The boxes out there are enabling far bigger power increases too”

Really??? I’m not sure what Dyno plots you are looking at!

Our development vehicle was tested on Dyno Dynamics (very well known to show low figures relative to most other Dynos) and made 220.7hp

The DTUK Octavia (I assume you are referring to DTUK as you have one of their boxes) was Dyno’d at Shark performance and made 220.8hp

Anyhow, I really don’t want this to turn into a DTUK vs CARBON thread as that is just futile.

They are very different products both having their own pros and cons and as such I don’t think should be compared directly.

There will always be people that will prefer to use a tuning box over a remap and likewise there will always be people that would prefer to have a remap over a tuning box!

It’s been this way for well over 10 years and I can’t see it changing anytime soon!

On another note....... hats off to Andrew @ DTUK! It seems you have a very nice product that will suit certain people down to the ground.

Looks like a properly developed product that delivers very good feedback from everyone that has tried one, and in the event that support is needed it seems to be fast and efficient – a far cry from most of the other tuning box companies out there - keep up the good work.

Back on topic:

NOW AVAILABLE FROM CARBON CHIPTUNING

End user programming device that works with either Android or PC/windows.

This allows you to flash your Mk7 GTD (after the initial remap) via the diagnostic port with factory or modified software!

Also has some pretty cool functions for most models:

Read/clear fault codes

Data-logging

Real time gauges

Power tests

Please email nick@carbonst.com or call 07825 215003 with any questions

All the best,

Nick @ Carbon
Carbon Chiptuning
Intelligent Solutions
mobile: 07825 215003
freefone: 08000 435 997
email: nick@carbonst.com
web: www.carbon-chiptuning.co.uk

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot

Equally, given how the ECU works, it will be interesting to see the power outputs of a car fitted with a tuning box after 12 months

Can you elaborate on what is meant by this? Are you saying the ECU will learn to "correct" the modified signals of the box in time, or something else to erode the output gains? Not sure how it would be "aware" of the modifications if there is no feedback from the rail and boost sensors.

In short its a possibility. There have been instances in the past where over time the ECU has adapted and learned and as a result pegged the performance back. The boxes im talking about are not DTUK boxes so in response to Andrew @ DTUK I was merely stating what results might be shown from others and was not directed at him or DTUK  :smiley:

Each system has its own pros and cons. As the customer its YOU who decides what you would prefer  :smiley:

I know my preference :)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict

In short its a possibility. There have been instances in the past where over time the ECU has adapted and learned and as a result pegged the performance back. The boxes im talking about are not DTUK boxes so in response to Andrew @ DTUK I was merely stating what results might be shown from others and was not directed at him or DTUK  :smiley:

Each system has its own pros and cons. As the customer its YOU who decides what you would prefer  :smiley:

I know my preference :)

Well there's something learnt today, I was genuinely asking for interest's sake - thanks.  :smiley:

I'm pretty happy with what I have bought, and even moreso when I got a free upgrade to a new box for offering opinion on real world driveability and mpg for some development maps DTUK gave me access to. Both the Carbon tuning and the DTUK products do seem to be well developed, far more so than a previous box from elsewhere I tried that had savage (not in a good way) power delivery, rough idling and a high mpg penalty.

I have read somewhere that some marques have feedback or detectability (recent Vauxhalls?) with tuning boxes for guarantee refusals, maybe these are the ones with the potential for learning an adaptability? (Skynet will be here before we know it  :grin:)

Sorry to hijack this thread with my genuine curiosity, i'll say no more.
« Last Edit: 13 August 2014, 21:17 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
And thats the idea of a forum; to have an open and honest discussion without having to resort to mud slinging etc  :whistle: :smiley:

You know with both companies, whichever route you choose, you are in safe hands :afro:

Offline Optimus prime

• GTI forum regular
Hey Folks,

Thought I’d better make a quick post to address some of the questions raised here......

@Monkeyhanger

“Just look at the meticulous work that the tuning company had to go to just to apply the map”

I’ll take that as a compliment – Thanks!  :grin:

“The boxes out there are enabling far bigger power increases too”

Really??? I’m not sure what Dyno plots you are looking at!

Our development vehicle was tested on Dyno Dynamics (very well known to show low figures relative to most other Dynos) and made 220.7hp

The DTUK Octavia (I assume you are referring to DTUK as you have one of their boxes) was Dyno’d at Shark performance and made 220.8hp

Anyhow, I really don’t want this to turn into a DTUK vs CARBON thread as that is just futile.

They are very different products both having their own pros and cons and as such I don’t think should be compared directly.

There will always be people that will prefer to use a tuning box over a remap and likewise there will always be people that would prefer to have a remap over a tuning box!

It’s been this way for well over 10 years and I can’t see it changing anytime soon!

On another note....... hats off to Andrew @ DTUK! It seems you have a very nice product that will suit certain people down to the ground.

Looks like a properly developed product that delivers very good feedback from everyone that has tried one, and in the event that support is needed it seems to be fast and efficient – a far cry from most of the other tuning box companies out there - keep up the good work.

Back on topic:

NOW AVAILABLE FROM CARBON CHIPTUNING

End user programming device that works with either Android or PC/windows.

This allows you to flash your Mk7 GTD (after the initial remap) via the diagnostic port with factory or modified software!

Also has some pretty cool functions for most models:

Read/clear fault codes

Data-logging

Real time gauges

Power tests

Please email nick@carbonst.com or call 07825 215003 with any questions

All the best,

Nick @ Carbon

Just what I am after I no its an old thread but if you could reply with a price for the obd mapping I would be grateful

Thanks

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Email nick or telephone him. He's a top top fella.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Email nick or telephone him. He's a top top fella.

^^^this will get you the quckest response :afro:

Nick likes a chat  :grin: