Author Topic: Dirty cars stay cleaner  (Read 1762 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Dirty cars stay cleaner
« on: 25 November 2016, 15:40 »
Lack of time and a mending arm have meant that I haven't found/made the time to clean my Passat for just over 8 weeks, but due to going away this weekend, I thought I ought to make it look at least presentable. It was absolutely hanging, however I was amazed at how just a quick wash got it looking its best again. There had been two big bird poos on the roof for nearly 6 weeks. They just washed off without leaving any etching. Also the lower sides were completely free from tar spots.

The car has absolutely no protection on it. It just gets washed by doing a pressure pre-wash, AG shampoo used as snow foam, second pressure wash rinse, 2BM AG shampoo, third pressure wash rinse, followed by an open hose rinse off.

I reckon if you can stand it, leaving your car to get and stay dirty over the winter, is much better than constantly cleaning it and running the risk of inflicting swirls. Minimal contact and all that. The dirt seems to do a pretty good job to looking after the paint.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Dirty cars stay cleaner
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2016, 15:59 »
Maybe after 8 weeks of getting used to the filth you had reset your expectations :wink: :whistle:

I think you do have a point though but I really like to see mine clean, swirls and all!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2016, 16:36 »
What Watts said, maybe your standards have dropped over time Simon.

I've just cleaned mine after a month, it was possibly the dirtiest its ever been and required a second hand mitt stage to get it pristine clean.  I think dirt can protect paintwork to an extent but there is a point at which it becomes difficult to clean if left for a long time, even a well protected car, that the risk of swirling the paint getting it back to clean (proper clean) outweighs the benefits of leaving it untouched.  Also dirt can hide scratches, marks etc that may have been unflicted at some point then hidden under yet another layer of dirt.  ETTO, but not something I would do.

PS, hope your arm has mended well, are you back out on the bike yet? .
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2016, 16:34 »
I fully appreciate that it won't be as clean as a pampered car like my Mk2 for example. However after so much neglect, no tar had stuck to the sides, the tailgate was free from soot particles and the 6 week old bird poo left not a trace. I'm sure that those day to day contaminants would eat into the protective layers of wax and sealant, meaning more hands on work to rectify and the risk of swirling.

Anyway, the arm is doing well thanks Bec. I was back on the bike after 5 weeks, albeit with my wrist strapped up. Having physio on that for a few more weeks to get more movement back, but natural instinct takes over and we adapt to carry on doing what we need to do even if bits of out bodies don't do what they used to.

Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.