Author Topic: Mud staining!  (Read 4736 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Mud staining!
« on: 19 September 2020, 18:48 »
Evening all!

My neighbour washed his car today and some mud that had splattered up the sides behind each wheel has stained the paint. No idea why. The paint is smooth so there's nothing on there, I tried a bit of hand polishing with Meguiars #105 on a Lake Country Ultimate German pad and absolutely no change. Presumably polishing with more gusto would yield results but I'm not doing it! Any other suggestions?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
Re: Mud staining!
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2020, 12:48 »
sounds like tar sling to me. Its defo not mud anyway.did you try tar/glue remover?
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2020, 12:53 »
I didn't but there was nothing on the paint, it's definitely a stain. Panel wipe made no difference either. I'll give some tar remover a go though just incase, thanks.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2020, 13:08 »
Sounds like there may have been something in the mud that has caused the staining, as I wouldn’t have expected ‘ordinary’ mud to do this. Does your neighbour remember where the mud splatter might’ve happened?

If your neighbour had been driving on country roads, I’m wondering if there was farm animal poo in amongst the mud that might’ve reacted with the paintwork; mud and waste from farm animals could be present on country roads if the animals need to be moved from grazing pasture to farm buildings on different sides of a road. We all know that bird poo reacts with clear coat - and if birds have been eating dark coloured berries, paintwork staining can happen - so there’s a chance that a mud and farm animal poo mix could also stain. 

You or your neighbour could try claying the affected areas, or even try a tar / glue removal product to see if they have any effect on the stains (they won’t do any harm to the paintwork). However, it’s likely that machine polishing would be the best option - starting with a finishing polish with little or no ‘cut’ on a finishing pad. It that doesn’t have the desired effect, then move up to a slightly more aggressive polish and pad combination.

It might be worth your neighbour checking out the local professional detailers in your area for a professional opinion - they may be prepared to ‘correct’ just the area(s) that are affected by staining and if so, it shouldn’t be too expensive to sort.

Let us know what the outcome is :smiley:.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2020, 18:02 »
Apparently it was from a weekend's camping, a goodly amount of mud kicked up. I really couldn't feel anything on the paint that could be clayed, I suspect a DA is going to be the answer and it won't get that, he's never even sealed the paint :rolleyes:

I'll try the tar remover just in case, if that doesn't work I suspect that'll be the end of the matter.

Cheers :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2020, 08:06 »
I live in the south of Ireland in farming heartland and can confirm that cow sh**e is every bit as bad as tar on the paintwork. I’d be very surprised if tar remover didn’t shift it ! Let us know how you go
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 16 December 2020, 21:22 »
Forgot about this. The answer in the end was that he traded it for a new car which is due soon.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.