Author Topic: MK4 Golf just failed MOT on Airbag Warning Light, help needed!!  (Read 25780 times)

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
"In order to pass the MOT the airbag light must illuminate when ignition is turned on then go off, covering up the light will still be a fail."

Can you please advise where you got this info from? Cheers

Section 5.4 of the MOT tester guidelines states a reason for rejection as:

A Supplementary Restraint System (SRS) malfunction indicator lamp:

. inoperative

. indicating a system malfunction.

This information can be found here:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_540.htm

and here:

http://www.dvlni.gov.uk/Freedom%20of%20Information/Light%20Vehicle%20Inspection%20Manual/Seat%20Belts%20and%20Supplementary%20Restraint%20Systems%20_SRS_.pdf

Offline chrisyboy

• Not said much yet
bugger I am screwed then my car is off the road due to an Airbag light, great!!

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
bugger I am screwed then my car is off the road due to an Airbag light, great!!

You need to work out why your diagnostics port isn't working, you are scanning with the ignition on aren't you?

First step would be to check the fuse, I think it's number 12.

If that is ok I'd disconnect the battery for 10 mins then try again.

Do you have an aftermarket headunit? If so make sure nothing is connected to the 'K line' as shown in this picture:

More info can be found here:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html

Where are you in the country?
« Last Edit: 08 April 2013, 17:12 by dom069 »

Offline chrisyboy

• Not said much yet
hi there thanks for the info that's great! Firstly I brought one of those ELM Bluetooth devices, didn't work then I purchased the memoscan U281, didn't work. there is power there as its running the devices, nothing seems to connect to the ECU. A local mechanic tried his software, he used 2 programs and the same thing no connection to ECU. The car is now out of MOT as well so I am without a car until I can get this sorted!

That's interesting about the headunit, it does have an aftermarket unit installed before I got the car, sorry to be an idiot but what exactly am I checking, the plug for the headunit?

Oh I am in Suffolk by the way

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
I don't know a huge amount about it but there is loads of info out there, I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along sometime to correct me if I'm wrong.

The way I understand it is, the plug in the picture above is the ISO plug which will be in the back of your headunit, you need to make sure that there is nothing connected to the "K line" as I believe this is reserved for data transfer. If something is connected then it can stop the OBD port from working.

Offline chrisyboy

• Not said much yet
thanks bud good info, simplifying this I have looked into this and if the K-Line wire is in the head unit plug, surely if I disconnect the plug from the head unit then with a bit of luck my scanner will work if the head units not plugged in, or am I wrong do you think?

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
thanks bud good info, simplifying this I have looked into this and if the K-Line wire is in the head unit plug, surely if I disconnect the plug from the head unit then with a bit of luck my scanner will work if the head units not plugged in, or am I wrong do you think?

Yeah, if there is a wire in the plug remove/cut it then try scanning again :wink:

Offline chrisyboy

• Not said much yet
UPDATE

Removed aftermarket head unit, disconnected the plug from the back of the head unit, plugged my Memoscan U281 in the diagnostics port, Ignition on and bobs your uncle, faults found and cleared!!

Amazing, who would have thought it, you guys on here have all saved me a small fortune, thanks for the help !!!!!!!

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Result  :cool:

Good work Dom  :wink:

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
UPDATE

Removed aftermarket head unit, disconnected the plug from the back of the head unit, plugged my Memoscan U281 in the diagnostics port, Ignition on and bobs your uncle, faults found and cleared!!

Amazing, who would have thought it, you guys on here have all saved me a small fortune, thanks for the help !!!!!!!

Glad to hear it's sorted :afro:

Result  :cool:

Good work Dom  :wink:

Cheers Rhys, I can occasionally be of use on here :grin: