Author Topic: Mk4 GTI Cigarette lighter fault!  (Read 23698 times)

Offline Meaden441

• Not said much yet
Mk4 GTI Cigarette lighter fault!
« on: 23 October 2009, 18:48 »
Hi,

I am new on this forum and have searched for this but couldn't find anything... :sad:

I recently bought a Mk4 GTI and the cigarette lighter doesn't work. I have tried looking at the fuses but the map of the fuse layout on the card on the inside of the fuse cover is for the other side - Totally confusing!...

ie The layout seems to be for the fuse box being on the left hand side (ie in Germany...!)

Can anyone tell me which fuse I need to check? I have been advised not to remove the fuses until I am certain as this can mess up the immobiliser etc if I remove one related to that.

This is a pain as the SATNAV won't last long without the charger. :cry:

If it isn't the fuse can anyone tell me how to remove the base of the ashtray as this isn't obvious to me and I don't want to break anything!

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline Meaden441

• Not said much yet
Re: Mk4 GTI Cigarette lighter fault!
« Reply #2 on: 23 October 2009, 19:25 »
Thats brilliant, thanks for the quick reply and the useful guide.

However - I have just tried changing the relevant fuse but it is still defective... :cry:

Can anyone tell me how to remove the base of the ashtray in order to check the connections under the lighter? Nothing seems obvious to me!

Thanks again :smiley:

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #3 on: 24 October 2009, 17:29 »
Thats brilliant, thanks for the quick reply and the useful guide.

However - I have just tried changing the relevant fuse but it is still defective... :cry:

Can anyone tell me how to remove the base of the ashtray in order to check the connections under the lighter? Nothing seems obvious to me!

Thanks again :smiley:

This will help:

http://bambergvr6.50megs.com/aluminum_trim_install.htm  :smiley:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline berty

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 24 October 2009, 20:19 »
I had same problem on my v6 4mo, i checked all the fuses and they were ok, the pulled out the ashtray checked the connection, that was fine, my mate brought his leccy testing kit home, check power was going to socket and it was, so he carried out a test on all of the fuses to see if the power was going to them, after a few mins we found the culpret, we changed the fuse and hey presto???? My advice would be to do the same m8????

Offline Meaden441

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2009, 19:32 »
Can anyone tell me how to remove the base of the ashtray to get to the connections behind it?

The fuse is ok  :rolleyes:

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #6 on: 01 November 2009, 19:53 »
follow the guide Rich gave you above, you have to remove the ashtray to fit the alu trim so you can get to it that way

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Meaden441

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 01 November 2009, 20:19 »
I tried that link but it says the site is disabled... :sad:

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2009, 21:02 »
ah ok, well pop the part next to the fag lighter out (pull upwards and it will come out) and there will be a screw underneath, undo that and pull the whole unit upwards from the front and bobs your uncle

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Meaden441

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 01 November 2009, 22:50 »
Top man, thanks for that. I will have a look tomorrow... :smiley: