Author Topic: Apex lowering springs  (Read 3923 times)

Offline JordBaber

• Not said much yet
Apex lowering springs
« on: 10 May 2014, 10:54 »
Hello am looking to order some apex lowering springs about 30mm drop.. Does anyone have these and can recommend them? And I presume they are just a straight swap from the standard springs?

Thanks

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
Re: Apex lowering springs
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2014, 15:35 »
Yeah they will be a straight swap as long as you  get the ones which are for the GTI/GTD not the normal MK6.

Apex are around £120 i think, I would spend the extra £20 and get H&R ones. H&R have some of the best quality parts I have ever bought.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline JayGTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2014, 16:36 »
Hello am looking to order some apex lowering springs about 30mm drop.. Does anyone have these and can recommend them? And I presume they are just a straight swap from the standard springs?

Thanks

I wouldn't recommend Apex. Spend a little bit more and get good quality like H&R, Eibach or if you're willing, go for the VWR (Volkswagen racing) springs from APR. I have the VWR ones myself and the ride quality is brilliant whilst providing the perfect drop - apparently they're rebranded Eibachs, but who knows

Jay
Deep black pearl GTD | 18" Charleston wheels | Kenwood DNX520VBT | VWR Springs | GTI backbox and diffuser | Red grill stripes | Bi-xenon LED Projector's with 6000K HID's | Full interior LED conversion | LED Number plate lights | Heko wind deflectors | JDM Broadway Rearview mirror | GTD Seat inserts | Stage 1+ remap | Vagcom gauge sweep | Vagcom large digital speedo | Vagcom teardrop wipers | WIFI OB2 connector w/ Dashcommands |

Offline JordBaber

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2014, 18:03 »
Thanks for your responses didn't know that apex had a bad name...

I had a look at the ones suggested and none of them offer 30-40 mm drop apex do

However you get what you pay for, tough decision

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2014, 20:00 »
Can't go wrong with H&R or Eibach, we sell tons of both. I wouldn't go near Apex, they're cheap for a reason.

Offline JayGTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2014, 21:42 »
Thanks for your responses didn't know that apex had a bad name...

I had a look at the ones suggested and none of them offer 30-40 mm drop apex do

However you get what you pay for, tough decision

H&R provide similar drop i think, it was 30-35mm, but from experience, H&R typically have a rock solid ride. Eibachs, although aren't as aggressive, offer a much more forgiving ride. I've got a bad back from using H&R's in the past! Haha

Jay
Deep black pearl GTD | 18" Charleston wheels | Kenwood DNX520VBT | VWR Springs | GTI backbox and diffuser | Red grill stripes | Bi-xenon LED Projector's with 6000K HID's | Full interior LED conversion | LED Number plate lights | Heko wind deflectors | JDM Broadway Rearview mirror | GTD Seat inserts | Stage 1+ remap | Vagcom gauge sweep | Vagcom large digital speedo | Vagcom teardrop wipers | WIFI OB2 connector w/ Dashcommands |

Offline eug2huge

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2014, 12:56 »
I have Apex on mine and they are great. I've had no scrapes going over speed bumps and I actually think the ride is better than stock...

Offline JordBaber

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2014, 23:36 »
Car looks great with the apex springs.. Thought about apex however opted for the h&r hopefully should be here early next week! Can't wait to get them on 1st proper mod for the mk6

Offline eug2huge

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2014, 09:12 »
Cheers. This is the first car I've lowered and it's amazing how much better it looks not to mention the improved handling. The stock gap is huge.. You'll need to post a pic once it's done!

Offline JordBaber

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2014, 17:50 »
It does look much better you're right! Yes will get photos on hopefully by the end of next week and see the comparison.. If it's not far off what yours looks like I'll be happy