Author Topic: Which wheel brush(es) for Brescias?  (Read 8980 times)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Which wheel brush(es) for Brescias?
« on: 26 February 2019, 09:49 »
Rebecca? Or anybody else, what wheel brush(es) do you use?

I don't need anything abrasive as my wheels are ceramic coated, and I use Bilt Hamber auto wheels before cleaning  so I'm looking for something to clean the surface build up and in the edges etc.

Cheers
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Which wheel brush(es) for Brescias?
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2019, 10:36 »
Wheel Woolies.  Set of 3 which are superb for all parts of wheel cleaning and also great for tailpipes, grills etc.  You can buy them on lots of detailing online sites but I always get mine from CYC.

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheel-woolies-wheel-brush-kit

Looks like they upgraded them now with grips on the handles.

I also use a boar’s hair detailing brush for wheel but covers and fiddly bits behind spokes (Pretoria wheels).

I have a ValetPro 1” wheel brush  https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/valet-pro-large-ultra-fine-detail-brush

and a Wheel Woolies one https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/wheel-woolies-boar-s-hair-detailing-brush-1.html

Both excellent in addition to a Wheel Woolie set
« Last Edit: 26 February 2019, 10:40 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2019, 13:14 »
+1 for Wheel Woolies. Not cheap but IMO they’re worth the cost and should last a long time if properly cared for. I’ve had mine now for around three years and they’re still going strong and look almost as good as they did when new. 

The soft pile heads mean there’s minimal risk of inflicting scratches or swirls to your wheels, provided you take a little time to rinse out any trapped grit and dirt thoroughly after each use (I clean mine out in a bucket of clean water, squeeze them dry, shake out any remaining water and then hang them up to air dry - I hang mine on the washing line in the many Wo-Wo mesh bags I have.

I also use a small soft bristle detailing brush for the fiddly bits on my wheels.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2019, 07:40 »
Thanks both, I’ll have a look and drop some woolies in a web-basket to try.  :smiley:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2019, 14:58 »
Definitely Wheel Woolies. Nearly worn the big one out, couldn't clean a car now without them..!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2019, 21:27 »
I have used Wheel Woolies for about 5 or so years now but I have just bought this as an alternative:

https://detailedonline.co.uk/collections/wheels/products/microfiber-alloy-barrel-brush

For £12.99 delivered you can’t really grumble and it feels very soft, I haven’t had chance to use it yet though.

EDIT: The end came off the brush after the second time of using it so back to my wheel woolies for me.
« Last Edit: 05 April 2019, 16:55 by hog_hedge »

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2019, 16:30 »
Which size brushes do you guys use and/or end up not using?

There appears to be two sets, A or B, the difference being the B set has a longer/bigger middle brush.

SOLD March 2021

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2019, 16:56 »

There appears to be two sets, A or B, the difference being the B set has a longer/bigger middle brush.

I only use a lambswool dooka wheel wash pad for the faces and behind the spokes and then the big wheel woolie for the barrels. They come up a treat!

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 06 April 2019, 10:56 »

I only use a lambswool dooka wheel wash pad for the faces and behind the spokes and then the big wheel woolie for the barrels. They come up a treat!
Thanks for that. Does the 'big' woolly fit between the gap between the calliper and the rim or do you use another brush for that?

I'm trying to decide if I 'need' Kit A or B, and the importance of what the medium size brush is.

:)
SOLD March 2021

Offline TweedsideR

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 06 April 2019, 16:26 »
Don't know which wheels you have, but with 19" Prets the big wheel woolie works everywhere EXCEPT the bit between the front disc caliper and the barrel. For that you do need the medium brush. But definitely worth the money.