Author Topic: 128ti undercuts GTI  (Read 30323 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
128ti undercuts GTI
« on: 07 October 2020, 05:37 »
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/hot-hatch/new-bmw-128ti-cheaper-golf-gti

£32995 vs £33460 (spec sheets will no doubt differ a fair bit)
I think current BMW 1er PCP APR is sub 3%

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: 128ti undercuts GTI
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2020, 08:44 »
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/bmw-guns-golf-gti-new-261bhp-128ti-hot-hatch

The BMW is an auto only, so even cheaper vs the Dsg golf...

Will be interesting to look at them in detail in terms of spec and price though.

From my musings with the 135i though, i know there will be at least two must haves i need to add... Acc and lumbar support. That's almost 2k on the price for items standard on the gti. The rest of the options probably i don't care about much.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Juicetin

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2020, 09:45 »
Georg Kacher gives it a very good review in the latest issue of CAR .
They also really like the new GTI, pitted against the new Civic Type-R

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2020, 11:18 »
I was going to say, if you remember that the 128Ti comes with an 8 speed Auto as standard, bigger performance brakes (much bigger than the standard MK8 GTI units), the Torsen mechanical limited-slip differential form the M135i (tweaked), and the BMW Idrive system with the professional 10" screen as standard (the Discover Pro in the MK8 costs an additional - £1,600) etc.

If you configure a MK8 GTI in white with DSG, Discover Pro and Winter pack (as the BMW comes with heated seats as standard), the price is £36,830 vs the BMW 128Ti bog standard (similar or better spec) at the announced £32,995, then even before options, it seems the BMW (which is also more powerful) is already nearly £4k cheaper (at list prices)!
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Juicetin

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2020, 11:29 »
Opinions are divided over the looks of the new BMW 1 Series. There are a few near where I live and in darker colours they actually look pretty good. The one in our road is a dark metallic grey/silver and I like it.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2020, 11:43 »
Yeah, looks are subjective. I'm not that keen on the 1 Series looks personally. So i'd buy the GTi instead on that basis. Still, at least BMW didn't completely ruin it by sticking that 4 Series /M3 grille on it.

I reckon spec will be swings and roundabouts, so price comparisons will depend on your ideal spec. For example the GTi gets adaptive matrix LED headlights and a heated steering wheel as standard. IIRC these are cost options on the 135i.
7.5 GTD

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2020, 11:49 »
I was going to say, if you remember that the 128Ti comes with an 8 speed Auto as standard, bigger performance brakes (much bigger than the standard MK8 GTI units), the Torsen mechanical limited-slip differential form the M135i (tweaked), and the BMW Idrive system with the professional 10" screen as standard (the Discover Pro in the MK8 costs an additional - £1,600) etc.

If you configure a MK8 GTI in white with DSG, Discover Pro and Winter pack (as the BMW comes with heated seats as standard), the price is £36,830 vs the BMW 128Ti bog standard (similar or better spec) at the announced £32,995, then even before options, it seems the BMW (which is also more powerful) is already nearly £4k cheaper (at list prices)!

Unless you really want voice control or gesture control, I reckon the Nav Pro is a waste of money at £1600. The standard nav screen in the GTi is already 10 inches. I think gesture control is also an optional extra on the 1 Series.

Edit: it seems the 10.25 inch nav screen on the 128ti is part of the Live Cockpit Professional option at £1k. The standard screen is 8.8 inches. It looks like there's no active cruise control as standard either.
« Last Edit: 07 October 2020, 12:27 by Guzzle »
7.5 GTD

Offline Thornster

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2020, 13:11 »
Really like the spec sheet for the 128Ti.

I was looking forward to getting back into a GTI after almost 3 years in an Arteon (also a great car), but disappointed in the cost Vs spec, and a few design decisions. The lack of physical controls for the Aircon/heating systems is a deal breaker for me (why VW, why!!!).
Oct 2013: GTI, DSG, 3 Door, Carbon Grey, DynAudio, Winter Pack, Discovery Navigation and Keyless Start
Jan 2018: Arteon R-Line, Atlantic Blue
Jan 2021: tbc!

Offline Juicetin

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2020, 13:52 »
I wonder why all the press release images for the 128ti are in white, surely the worst colour for it.
I also really like the spec sheet, will be interesting to read the road test comparisons when they come out.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2020, 14:48 »
Unless you really want voice control or gesture control, I reckon the Nav Pro is a waste of money at £1600. The standard nav screen in the GTi is already 10 inches. I think gesture control is also an optional extra on the 1 Series.

Edit: it seems the 10.25 inch nav screen on the 128ti is part of the Live Cockpit Professional option at £1k. The standard screen is 8.8 inches. It looks like there's no active cruise control as standard either.

I think we don't understand clearly what NavPro gives you on the Mk8, the same that we didn't understand it well on the Mk7/7.5 until people actually had them.

I think you also need Live Cockpit Pro for ACP/AA.

AAC is definitely an additional cost on the BMW, as is lumbar support!

I added:

tech pack (gives you loads of things including the EXCELLENT BMW HUD that I loved on the M135i and matrix LED's)
Automatic Cruise Control (which I really use on my Golf Mk7.x)
Live Cockpit Pro
Lumbar support

Didn't mess with colour or wheels..... its £36,970..... definitely under 40k even if I go nuts with more crap on it.

Still waiting for my Mk8 GTI quote from my dealer, but on the face of it, that's:

1) not far off a Mk8 GTI DSG list price, with extra kit
2) I expect bigger discounts and better PCP APR from BMW

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC