Author Topic: 110 engine - why is it so effing loud  (Read 3415 times)

Offline braderz

• GTI forum regular
110 engine - why is it so effing loud
« on: 23 May 2010, 01:14 »
you cant even hear yourself speak standing next to it when running...

its really putting me off the car

Offline braderz

• GTI forum regular
Re: 110 engine - why is it so effing loud
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2010, 13:03 »
being serious though!! why are they so loud compared to PD engines?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2010, 13:07 »
Different fuel delivery system for starters

Interestingly though that VW have gone back to common rail diesels

Is it due a service? Normally some fresh oil will help quieten things down  :smiley:

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2010, 13:10 »
PD Engines aren't *that* quiet either, though I've never had two side by side to compare either.

What Rhys said about the new oil, a family members '07 Zafira is well over due a service and it is way louder than my 10yr old PD 115.
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline MK3TDi1996

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2010, 13:40 »
My 1.9TDi non PD is a noisy b!tch.  She's been fully overhauled with new heavy duty big ends and mains, rings, gaskets etc etc and is still a noisy b!tch.

I don't mind though - she runs about 120bhp with PP520 injectors and 'evry' mod and returns around 450 miles to a full tank :)

Offline braderz

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2010, 20:42 »
Rhyso, what would i need to look at in the fuel system? I changed the fuel filter when i bought the car a year ago.
All it does need is an oil change, just done 10k since i last done it, which was also when i got the car, im forever checking it though.

My mate has got a 115 pd engine, near 140k on it, mine has done 111k, and his is at least half the noise of mine.
We park up next to each other, as you do, and its just a joke!!

I must admit though it runs without fault and I do return 500 mile full tanks.
Whats this PP520 and evry mod?

cheers guys

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2010, 20:48 »
Nothing mate - I was merely pointing out that the way the fuel is delivered is different between the two engines  :smiley:

Get some VW quantum oil in there and change the oil and fuel filter and you'll find it should help a bit :afro:

Offline braderz

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2010, 20:53 »
Ahh i see! Yeh i shall get onto that soon and see how i get on cheers! Just remembered my engine tray fell off and broke, ive got it still but im not sure it made much difference to the noise that engine makes!

Offline MK3TDi1996

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2010, 20:59 »
Rhyso, what would i need to look at in the fuel system? I changed the fuel filter when i bought the car a year ago.
All it does need is an oil change, just done 10k since i last done it, which was also when i got the car, im forever checking it though.

My mate has got a 115 pd engine, near 140k on it, mine has done 111k, and his is at least half the noise of mine.
We park up next to each other, as you do, and its just a joke!!

I must admit though it runs without fault and I do return 500 mile full tanks.
Whats this PP520 and evry mod?

cheers guys

hey buddy,

PP520's are a set of injector nozzles.  They do a few different sizes, come bigger, some smaller.  The bigger ones will let more fuel in but cause more smoke and tend to work best with other uprated components.  I went for the 520's and am happy with the results.  

The 'evry' mod is a small variable resistor/potentiometer hooked up to the fuel harness. see;

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=12165&highlight=evry+mod

Jack

Offline braderz

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2010, 21:36 »
cheers mate, had a read, not sure its something i want to do though!!
I should have added that this noise problem is only on idle, it purrs along great when driving, if it makes a difference.
Im wondering if its related in any way to the juddering i get when coming off the revs while stationary?