Author Topic: Am I the next victim?  (Read 29016 times)

Offline nige smith

• Not said much yet
Re: Am I the next victim?
« Reply #100 on: 20 December 2013, 15:47 »
My first reply. I hope the forum don't mind me pointing VW this way!

Date: 16 December 2013 12:57:20 GMT
To: Volkswagen UK Customer Service <cscretailercontacts@volkswagen.co.uk>
Subject: Re: /VW-2013/12-007558

Dear Julie,

Thank you for your reply.

If you go to the following site www.golfgtiforum.co.uk  & search for 'timing chain tensioner', you will find several cases involving VW Customer services! So to say that you have had no examples of tensioners failing, is either ignorance on your part, or you are not telling the truth about this issue!

I'll ask again, what is VWs position regarding the failure of this part, which leads to a replacement engine being required?

I very much look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Nigel Smith

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #101 on: 20 December 2013, 16:36 »
Nice one Nigel! I can't believe they are still saying they have never heard of any issues  :rolleyes:
2008 R32 DBP gone. 2008 GT TDI going 2009 GTI coming soon!

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #102 on: 20 December 2013, 17:28 »
daily driver mate, and unfortunately its the only car i have and need it for work. Im not Mr 5 cars like someone i know  :tongue:
Dealer car, rent a car, bus, taxi, lifts, relatives car, wife/girlfriend/boyfriends car or son/daughters car.
Sorry I would rather that than get stranded somewere for hours because the car refuses to start and less hassle than any issues caused by any incorrect reasemble after an entire frontend dismantle for an engine change.
If its as slack as it sounds its a ticking time bomb.

I only have 1 car currently on the road :tongue:
« Last Edit: 20 December 2013, 18:27 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
« Reply #103 on: 20 December 2013, 18:17 »
Does anyone have the original email they sent to VW Customer care about this issue so we can all use it as a template and adjust where necessary. Will save time for the the lads who are about to go through the process and i will attach it to the sticky thread.

thanks
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #104 on: 20 December 2013, 18:37 »
daily driver mate, and unfortunately its the only car i have and need it for work. Im not Mr 5 cars like someone i know  :tongue:
Dealer car, rent a car, bus, taxi, lifts, relatives car, wife/girlfriend/boyfriends car or son/daughters car.
Sorry I would rather that than get stranded somewere for hours because the car refuses to start and less hassle than any issues caused by any incorrect reasemble after an entire frontend dismantle for an engine change.
If its as slack as it sounds its a ticking time bomb.

I only have 1 car currently on the road :tongue:

Having the Tensioner and other bits changed?

Put some Glendales on while you're at it :laugh:.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #105 on: 20 December 2013, 18:42 »
^ Thats not my car. That will be RocketRossUK if he keeps driving it. Engine out. Look how much is stripped down and can be re-assembled incorrectly when an engine is replaced  :lipsrsealed:

Tensioners a 5 hour job with engine in. :smiley:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #106 on: 20 December 2013, 18:46 »
Haha. What could possibly go wrong?

What is stupeyfying is that VW are happy to let customers go through all this hassle. Seriously thinking of moving away from VW cars. I have had in the past 2 mk1 gti's, 5 mk 2's, 2 mk5's (inc. am Ed35) a Corrado and currently a mk6 gti. From the Audi VW stable I have had a Quattro, A4 sport, 2x225 TT,s.

That's 14 personally owned vehicles...
« Last Edit: 20 December 2013, 18:55 by andygo »

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
« Reply #107 on: 20 December 2013, 18:53 »
^ Thats not my car. That will be RocketRossUK if he keeps driving it. Engine out. Look how much is stripped down and can be re-assembled incorrectly when an engine is replaced  :lipsrsealed:

Tensioners a 5 hour job with engine in. :smiley:

Seriously man stop it !!! your making me really scared now. I know i shouldnt drive it, but other than renting a car (which i have no idea how much that cost for 2 week) i dont have any other option. I have to go to 4-6 companies a day, some upto 25 miles away, so bus and taxi is out of the question.

I dont have any family members who could lend me one for the two weeks. Believe me i dont really want to start it but......well, just finger, toes and everything else crossed it will make it.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #108 on: 20 December 2013, 19:52 »
I updated the timing chain list sticky thread with a little bit of info  :smiley:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #109 on: 20 December 2013, 20:37 »
Haha. What could possibly go wrong?

What is stupeyfying is that VW are happy to let customers go through all this hassle. Seriously thinking of moving away from VW cars. I have had in the past 2 mk1 gti's, 5 mk 2's, 2 mk5's (inc. am Ed35) a Corrado and currently a mk6 gti. From the Audi VW stable I have had a Quattro, A4 sport, 2x225 TT,s.

That's 14 personally owned vehicles...
a mk5 ed35  :laugh: did you not mean ed30