Author Topic: GTD Tornado Red  (Read 29098 times)

Offline runningman35

• Not said much yet
Re: GTD ordered
« Reply #20 on: 22 October 2014, 20:39 »
Hi Barney Barnett,

What was the Volvo like in comparison?  Defo order the S&S pack as adds a bit of interest to longer journeys and I seem to be able to switch to it during journey and then back to comfort setting if I want and get benefit without having to stop completely as some others seem to have found.

The dynaudio upgrade is worth it I think as well and very powerful and seems good value! Sat Nav is cr@p so far and my £30 Tom Tom beats it hands down for just about all features. Not sure if the expensive Pro version is better and worth it either if people are honest?
Current: Mk7.5 GTI PP DSG 3 Dr, DB Pearl, Brescia 19”, Dynaudio Excite, Art Velour SS, DCC

Previous: Mk7 GTD 5 dr, TR, Basic NAV, Dynaudio, ACC, Winter Pack, Sport & Sound Pack, Heated W/screen, Advanced Tel Pack

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 23 October 2014, 07:47 »
Don't know why people keep slagging off the sat nav and saying it's crap. Can a tom tom play radio, media, give you directions show your rear view camera, connect Bluetooth to your phone? oh and the built in nav looks way better than a tom tom. Stand alone sat navs are designed to be a sat nav on its own but the vw system is still really good and does much more than just be a sat nav.
« Last Edit: 23 October 2014, 07:49 by mcmaddy »
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline BarneyBarnett

• Just got here
« Reply #22 on: 24 October 2014, 11:52 »
@Runningman35

I actually quite liked the look externally of the V40 but the Golf was just so much better built and better kit i.e Xenons, parking sensors, auto dimming rear view mirror as standard. Also i drove the V40 D2 and the new D4 r designs and the steering column isnt fully enclosed at the bottom so as a result i could feel it with my foot every time i turned the steering wheel - not good.

Heard today that Lex and VW are happy to amend my order to include the Sport and Sound pack. There appears to have been a lot of confusion over what this adds in the past with the VW site not helping in stating it is just a sound enhancement internally to the car for the driver and passenger and no mention of Red Brake Callipers...not really selling it are they???

Now just the wait for the car to arrive!!
GTD with Leather, Nav, Camera, headlight assist, Sport and Sound Pack

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 24 October 2014, 14:44 »
There's a red GTD parked outside my office today taunting me that mine is still to be built
Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline runningman35

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 24 October 2014, 19:47 »
@ BarneyBarnett,

Interesting comments on build quality difference. My parents have had major issues with their 3 year old XC60 mechanically and this was enough to put me off even looking at the range, but seems Volvo still cutting corners.

I dealt with Lex for my car and they were very accommodating to changes and chasing up my order as well.

The S&S pack is great for when in the mood and gives a much louder growl inside the car when in sport mode, AND outside as exhaust is different with no back box and speaker in the exhaust which altered external noise to mimic sound of Large capacity petrol exhaust sound.

Enjoyed finally getting my Work Blackberry to sync up after about 5 attempts. Blackberry fault, had to take the battery out and clear old synced devices from memory! Also tried the iPod/iPad connector for 1st time and works well to display tracks and albums but no art work, but just happy to be able to use on move.

@Phope

Wonder if you have spied my car in Aberdeen work car park ? Has it got 5 doors and red callipers?

Current: Mk7.5 GTI PP DSG 3 Dr, DB Pearl, Brescia 19”, Dynaudio Excite, Art Velour SS, DCC

Previous: Mk7 GTD 5 dr, TR, Basic NAV, Dynaudio, ACC, Winter Pack, Sport & Sound Pack, Heated W/screen, Advanced Tel Pack

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 24 October 2014, 21:51 »
No, this was in Rubislaw Terrace today

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 31 October 2014, 14:11 »
There appears to have been a lot of confusion over what this adds in the past with the VW site not helping in stating it is just a sound enhancement internally to the car for the driver and passenger and no mention of Red Brake Callipers...not really selling it are they???
You have to love VW UK - they describe this option as the exact opposite of what it is - it has an external speaker in the exhaust system!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #27 on: 31 October 2014, 15:15 »
Especially given that the internal sound actuator is actually standard on the GTD in the first place...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline runningman35

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 02 November 2014, 11:57 »
The sport and sound pack does include red brake callipers, which are just painted versions of the std GTD ones with same pads etc.

The sound inside the car is louder than the std GTD with the sound actuator in my ex
Experience as the exhaust is different and without the last baffle section, plus an extra speaker that can be heard outside the vehicle and inside. Definately noticeable even sitting in traffic as a few people look at you strangely. Maybe it's just me though!

For a relatively inexpensive option, I.e. less than some metallic paint options, I am personally glad to have this Jekyll and Hide option that can be switched on or off depending on your mood! :smiley:

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 02 November 2014, 15:53 »
It's interesting to read quite a debate on Pistonheads about enhanced/fake/synthetic exhaust sounds

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=31095