Author Topic: Strange problem with Mk3 Gti  (Read 7037 times)

Offline dragongreengolfgti

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
Re: Strange problem with Mk3 Gti
« Reply #20 on: 22 August 2011, 11:49 »
what do you need i'l let you know if i still have it mostly interior bits off a 5 door i have a spare engine just needs rebuilding

Offline kekster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 22 August 2011, 17:04 »
I am looking for the following bits.

The two bits of black dash trim at each side of radio
Glove box handle ( snapped off )
Door pins
Cheap radio and cage ( just temporary )

That's it for now I think unless I need the other bits you mentioned yesterday.

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
« Reply #22 on: 22 August 2011, 17:11 »
ok i have the plastic bits either side of the radio  :smiley:  dont have a glovebox handle as mine snapped on my current daily so i had it out of the spare car and i sold the other as a complete dashboard. I have door pins 3 or 5 door? and i have a kenwood cd/mp3 player which is actually quite good with cage etc no box though i can get pics of all these bits if you want and i will do it all for £40 delivered if interested the stereo isn't that old i just upgraded a few months ago as all my system is now sony equipment  :smiley:

Offline kekster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 22 August 2011, 17:24 »
Ok cheers....I will see what the diagnostics come up with when disc arrives before I decide what I want.

Engine runs a bit lumpy between 1500 - 2000rpm, I have read that some people suggest cleaning throttle body and also some people mention relays, what's your thoughts on this ?

Cheers

Offline kekster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 22 August 2011, 17:32 »
So what are your plans for your 16v pride and joy ? It looks very smart from the outside, have you done all of that or is it part of your ongoing project?

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
« Reply #25 on: 22 August 2011, 17:37 »
My thoughts are the same clean the throttle body really well using carb cleaner also check for air leaks on the vacum houses the ones to the charcoal canister etc. Give it a good service and you should feel a new car again it sounds unlikely to be a relay for that symptom inless it cuts out on you when stopping etc. not sure on plans yet debating selling it after xmas but so far i have done alot of work on it heres my thread of work done so far  :smiley:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=199360.0

Offline kekster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 22 August 2011, 18:06 »
Very nice work.

So if you sell it what would you go for next ?

I had an old Audi S4 Avant a few years back, what a car that was !!!! love it until head went  :cry:, got it sorted but lost confidence in her so got rid. Since then I've had a Pug 206 Gti and a Jag X type diesel but fancied something different this time so plumped for the Mk 3, not sure it was the best choice yet !!!

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
« Reply #27 on: 22 August 2011, 18:15 »
hopefully i wont have to sell it  :smiley: i'm hopeing to buy a evo 8 fq300 in february and keep this as my daily but if i have to sell it to aquire the extra funds i will sadly have to. I will then buy another one in the summer or a mk2 for a project  :smiley:

I like the s4's and jags tbh nice cars not sure im grown up enough to have one though lol

Offline kekster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 22 August 2011, 18:31 »
Yeah still got the Jag but will be going in the very near future, I was born in the 60's  :embarassed: so maybe a little older than you and had the same thoughts as you but very nice cars all the same.

I used the wifes Puma today, feels a bit like a go-kart and goes quite well  :shocked:

I'm new to all of this doing cars up malarky but can turn my hand to most things, is the Haynes manual any good ? What would you recommend to get sorted first...after the current problem  :angry: engine ? bodywork? interior? Bit tight on funds at the mo so the cheapest options will be first.

Offline kekster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 23 August 2011, 20:24 »
Update

Got the car started tonight  :cool:

I'm not sure what it was, I just twiddled about with some wires, disconnected battery, checked fuses etc.

Hopefully that's it sorted and was just one of those unexplainable occurences.

Thanks for all of the advice. :smiley: