Author Topic: MK3 GTI 8v - No Spark!  (Read 8944 times)

Offline stevo

• Not said much yet
MK3 GTI 8v - No Spark!
« on: 20 April 2006, 16:29 »
Hi,
     Having read through the common Mk3 faults thread + archives, i thought i'd start a new thread for the problem i'm experiencing with my MK3. There doesnt seem to be any spark from the distributor to the each spark plug!

I have a new distributor cap & rotor arm and 12.6v from the HT Lead connected to the coil, the distributor rotates when the engine cranks but still nothing?

A friend has suggested the coil pack - but how could i test this to be sure?

To be honest i'm no auto Elec, so i was wondering if anybody has had something similar or other suggestions to solve this problem?

also I've checked the ECU/Fuel Pump Relays

Thanks for any advice you could offer.

Steve

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
Re: MK3 GTI 8v - No Spark!
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2006, 16:58 »
99% likley to be your coil mate . don't know how you test it though.

mowgli

« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2006, 17:26 »
I think coil packs are pretty cheap so just go buy one, as above, 99% sure thats the fault.

Symptoms on my wifes 2.0 8v ibiza (same engine) were: engine turning but not starting

Offline stevo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2006, 17:29 »
Thanks for the replys - ill go get one hopefully tomorrow morning!!

Offline nosaj26

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2006, 20:26 »
sounds like coil to me too, ive had same problem, its common with mk 3's :cry:

Offline vwagain

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 21 April 2006, 16:17 »
To check if its the coil or not, simply take the coil lead off from the distributor(so its still connected to the coil) and push a plug into the end. Then rest it on the engine block and turn the engine over. If you see a spark all is well, if ya dont then you know its the coil. :wink:

Stu
1996 2.0l 8v, black magic pearl paint<br />

Offline stevo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2006, 14:54 »
Hi ,
       Thanks for all the responses, I tried a test on the coil similar to what stu suggested and there was no spark! Fitted a new coil and now i've got a new problem!!!!!! :angry: - The engine turns over and fires now but dies straight away, at the moment i can get it to start and run on the fourth/fifth attempt. but you have to rev it big time to keep it running.

when it finally ticks over you can smell the petrol in the engine bay so i dont think its a fuel problem.

Any ideas what is going on now?

Cheers Steve

Offline stevo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2006, 16:02 »
Just to add more detail to the problem, i've noticed that when the engine fires and then dies, the rev counter only goes upto 1000 rpm even with your foot to the floor, and when it finally fires there seems to be like a stutter around 1000 rpm then you get the full rev range.

i was thinking about purchasing the obd2 connector (i think thats the one fitted to 1996 golfs) and getting VAGCOM or similar, Is this the sort of thing that will throw up an Error Code?

Offline kipsy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 24 April 2006, 10:05 »
My mk3 had a problem with no spark and it turned out to be the crank sensor!

Offline stevo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 24 April 2006, 10:13 »
Opened up my key and couldnt see any chip inside, so i dont think the VW immobiliser is in use. so i Fitted a new ignition switch to the existing loom (not in the barrel) as a quick Ignition switch test as i seem to have lost the switched live to the stereo.  :angry: still no difference! but i have noticed the oil pressure lamp flashing after cranking?  this was replaced approx 6 months ago due to oil leakage. Does the ECU cut the engine if it detects what it thinks to be an Oil pressure fault?