Author Topic: Parker Alloys issue?  (Read 11183 times)

Offline Aparat

• GTI forum regular
Parker Alloys issue?
« on: 24 December 2018, 13:14 »
My fellow GTI owners, please have a look at included picture and tell me, what the hell is this ?
Got the car 2 weeks ago and only just today I had time to give it quick clean. I used Custom Wheel Cleaner and I noticed this on my alloys. Cant clean it, buff it , whatever, its just not coming off. Very disappointment at the moment

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ccMEgBIF6AjR8UVN7lLIkD7PSwxy-kU_

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
Re: Parker Alloys issue?
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2018, 13:17 »
What kind of wheel cleaner did you use? If it was too harsh it may have damaged the clear coat on the polished wheels.
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline Aparat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2018, 13:19 »
Autoglym Custom Wheel Cleaner which is acid free and safe for diamond cut alloys, I looked online before I got anything for my wheels  :sad:

Just to add it looks much worst on this picture then it really is but still. Once seen...  :sick:
« Last Edit: 24 December 2018, 13:21 by Aparat »

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #3 on: 24 December 2018, 13:35 »
I stupidly sprayed bug remover on my car once and it dried in just like that.
It was a b!tch to get off.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 24 December 2018, 14:02 »
It looks as if you may have left the wheel cleaner on the wheels too long before rinsing it off and it’s dried on and stained or mildly etched the lacquered surface.

I find with regular washing (every week or couple of weeks) with a good quality ph neutral car shampoo, there’s very little need to use a dedicated wheel cleaner - it does help of your wheels are well protected with a sealant as this helps to make them easy to clean).

If you do feel the need to use a dedicated wheel cleaner, Valet Pro Bilberry wheel cleaner is ph neutral and I’ve used it on diamond cut alloys with no adverse effects to the wheels. Again, don’t leave it on to long, otherwise your wheels may be stained pink! :grin:

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/valet-pro-bilberry-wheel-cleaner

The video at the link posted above shows it in action.

Going back to your current problem; I’d try polishing the affected areas gently with a very mild polish that contains very little by way of abrasives, followed up with a couple of coats of wax or sealant to protect the surface against the winter elements.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 24 December 2018, 14:38 »
I find with regular washing (every week or couple of weeks) with a good quality ph neutral car shampoo, there’s very little need to use a dedicated wheel cleaner - it does help of your wheels are well protected with a sealant as this helps to make them easy to clean).

While I appreciate this doesn't really help op with their current issue, I mostly agree with this. I haven't used a dedicated wheel cleaner for donkeys years. I've found dirt, brake dust etc all comes off easy enough with warm water, a decent quality car shampoo and a sponge with some gently applied elbow grease. There are sometimes weeks between washes yet still not had any real troubles getting them clean. Maybe a detailing expert will come along and tell me i'm not doing it right, but until I have problems getting them clean, then I don't really see the need to do anything more.
7.5 GTD

Offline Aparat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 24 December 2018, 14:49 »
I think SRGTD might be right, I left cleaner for too long and I was doing all wheels at the same time, don't even know why, knowing its one wheel and rinse. And then I was on phone for few minutes so makes sense, product dried on wheel and stained it.
Being OCD on car condition wont help me this Christmas I don't think :sad: Such a mistake. Guys please recommend me some products to remove it, I don't want to use something and make it worse.

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #7 on: 24 December 2018, 14:51 »
Will that polish off? Might be worth having a go by hand
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline Aparat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 24 December 2018, 15:01 »
Will that polish off? Might be worth having a go by hand
It will not. Tried with clean microfibre cloth

Offline hobbes22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 24 December 2018, 15:13 »
I would try something like T-cut? See if you can gently take the discolour off? Then use some C5 to protect.
Sold - Octavia 2.0 PD Tdi. Shark remap. EGR Delete. Decat. H&R Shocks. Hybrid Turbo.

Sold - 2016 GTI PP, Manual. Pure White. Keyless.

Current - GTI Performance, DSG, Isaac Blue, Brescia 19”.