Author Topic: Mk 1 gti 1.8 Oil light flashing and buzzing fixed  (Read 3989 times)

Offline Mk1golfnoob

• Not said much yet
Mk 1 gti 1.8 Oil light flashing and buzzing fixed
« on: 17 September 2013, 19:13 »
For months and months my oil light used to flash when ignition on and when it was warm no matter how I was driving it used to buzz and flash. So today I thought IDE have a real go at it. After replacing the oil pressure switch then driving it for 30 mins no change, then thought if its a pressure issue maybe there's a leak somewhere, but no. Then a lightbulb moment and I remembered my dipstick has always been quite loose, so I put some ptfe tape on my dipstick to tighten it in the hole and walla, after idling for 30 seconds I turned it off and left it 30 mins. Then I went out, ignition on and no oil light flashing, drove it around town between Leeds and Bradford, both motorway and town driving for about a hour and a half upto temperature, no problem or light or buzz whatsoever. Really chuffed now and wanted to share my findings with people as I know it's quite a common problem. Could be a cheap and easy fix for you

Offline gazareth

• I live here
Re: Mk 1 gti 1.8 Oil light flashing and buzzing fixed
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2013, 18:00 »
why should that make a difference to the oil pressure in the engine block galleries???

Offline Mk1golfnoob

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2013, 22:09 »
I dunno but it's cured it so I'm happy

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2013, 23:43 »
I would still be tempted to drop the sump and check your oil pump pick up pipe.

Offline Mk1golfnoob

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2013, 21:52 »
Ok do they get blocked or come loose or what ? As soon as I used to turn engine off and fire it back up it was ok?

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2013, 21:41 »
Ok do they get blocked or come loose or what ? As soon as I used to turn engine off and fire it back up it was ok?

They block over time, so would be well worth checking

Offline Mk1golfnoob

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 27 November 2013, 19:20 »
Ive now decided to take my golf off the road sadly :( ............ For a full restoration and either 1.8 16v or 2.0 16v engine swap :)