Author Topic: Well I'm calling this extreme GTI 16V makeover LOL!  (Read 97329 times)

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
Re: Well I'm calling this extreme GTI 16V makeover LOL!
« Reply #180 on: 24 April 2012, 16:50 »
Hammer time had to smash it out the bush sleeve was stuck  :laugh:

Need to get a ball sperator tomorrow and do the tie rod end and ball joints!

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #181 on: 26 April 2012, 15:28 »
I've been on a spiritual journey, the grief I've had with slotted strut nuts and today it was the ball joint on the wishbone. It took smashing, heat, plus gas, masionary chisstle, and the biggest hammer I could find, then after about 3 hours on and off she finally gave in to me! She left me with a smashed finger  :lipsrsealed:
 I have never in all my life struggled to remove a ball joint like this, The problem was the car has been lowered so low that ll running gear has been exposed to water dirt and finally rust got the the better of it.
The rust formed a perfectly tight seal on the pinch bolt clamp and bonded it like I've never seen the likes off!
:shocked: 
I was tempted to put back all runnning gear then drop the wheel and take the hub nut off and I really don't like doing that one without a 10ft scafolding pole  :grin:
Yes thats rust fallen on the drive from the hammer time  :lipsrsealed:

I've got the other side to work on next!
All I'm going to say is Captive nut  :shocked: :grin: :lipsrsealed: :cry:

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #182 on: 26 April 2012, 16:45 »
I dont have these problems with mine jay, regardless good work.

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #183 on: 26 April 2012, 17:25 »
I dont have these problems with mine jay, regardless good work.

Me neither usually!
This whole project is about fixing the boogles on it, the other wishbone took me three minutes to take off.
The things I noticed was captive nut has gone
There was no sleeve bush in the other wishbone,
Track arms tie rods were completely out counted 14 rings driver side and 9 rings on passengers but thats very out IMO?

Its not been touched for about four years I reckon, so for that much damaged from rust it was just too low!
All I can say is whoever worked on the car before me was a butcher and no grease to stop rusting on those bolts.
I'm having to replace all nuts and bolts as they were rounded badly took me a lot longer than usual. :rolleyes:
Haaaa I have the will to move on and sort it out quicker now!     :laugh:

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #184 on: 26 April 2012, 17:57 »
It sounds butchered, but atleast being sorted by u, u know it will be easier to work on in the future

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #185 on: 26 April 2012, 21:14 »
When you do put it back together, coat all the threads in copperslip, will help in the future

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #186 on: 26 April 2012, 21:34 »
When you do put it back together, coat all the threads in copperslip, will help in the future
I usually use Lithium grease Wayne, its better I find copper grease hardens and drys out its fine on pads and anything moving like brake related items.
The copper is good for anti seizing, but anything like bolts and non moving always use Lithium fella!

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #187 on: 26 April 2012, 21:55 »
I usually use Lithium grease Wayne, its better I find copper grease hardens and drys out its fine on pads and anything moving like brake related items.
The copper is good for anti seizing, but anything like bolts and non moving always use Lithium fella!

Interesting, all the engineers in the work use copperslip on bolts, I do the same as they told me that it acts as an anti seize, it over time breaks down but in such a way that some parts of it always remain, grease on the other hand breaks down much quicker.

VW BUSH

« Reply #188 on: 26 April 2012, 22:09 »
Its a non ferrous metal in solution which wont corrode to, or allow ferrous metal to corrode or stick to under heat.
Lithium grease is more of a soap with a low melting point, both fine for stopping bolts from sticking :smiley:

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #189 on: 26 April 2012, 22:30 »
what does this look like  :huh:

:kiss: