Author Topic: minimum post before trading  (Read 6299 times)

Offline Toby

• I live here
  • Car - less
Re: minimum post before trading
« Reply #10 on: 17 February 2010, 20:29 »
i have not been scammed etc.. and im just thinking how it can be prevented.. i use this forum very regulary,, and love golf's but dont own one... and i love the banter that happens in the off topic.. which is where i spent alot of my time .. and also the classified.. just brousing.. and alot of time in the project's... i love to learn... :D

A real 304bhp 286lbft in a mk4 golf!

Currently down under

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
  • MK4 GT TDI 130 - DERV POWER!!
« Reply #11 on: 17 February 2010, 21:18 »
If some needs 100+ posts to be allowed to scam people I'm sure it wouldn't take them long to get them and if it would get them a few hundred quid it wouldn't bother them too much. Then there is the fact that people might feel more comfortable buying from someone who has that many posts. I know that if I notice someone with a few posts is selling something then my I'm automatically sceptical of them.

Don't let a few tw@s ruin what I believe is a good classifieds section. Like Shady said, people just need to be a bit more switched on when buying things.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 17 February 2010, 23:34 »
what about giving a rating/feedback to those that are selling?

as you can see here... the following vendor has no rating...

http://www.106owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=1507908

funny that... seeing who it is  :wink:

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #13 on: 17 February 2010, 23:36 »
Ahh that is a very good idea Guy, I'll back that up.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #14 on: 18 February 2010, 00:18 »
Why not do as a lot of other forums do, premium membership of say £10 a year and they are the only ones who can sell stuff plus on another forum I am on you need 1000 posts before you can sell something.

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #15 on: 18 February 2010, 08:45 »
Why not do as a lot of other forums do, premium membership of say £10 a year and they are the only ones who can sell stuff plus on another forum I am on you need 1000 posts before you can sell something.

Charging to sell will reflect in a negative way. As I've said people come here purely to sell, and a lot of the time it might just be once or twice, why would someone pay a tenner to sell on here? It would be cheaper for them to go to eBay.

The post count theory won't work either as has already been mentioned. If someone wants to make a few hundred from scamming, it's not going to hurt them much to stick around for a few weeks and post to get their count up.

I think Guy's feedback idea would be a great idea. At least it would provide users with a more trusted view of the seller, regardless of posts. People that only come here to sell then will be able to build a good foundation based on feedback, and long running members also will have a chance to do it as well. No doubt there may be a couple of times someone has sold, got good feedback and then scams, but it would most likely be very very rare occasions.

Offline A7 UFO

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 18 February 2010, 09:04 »
I bought some carbon race seats on my credit card through paypal.  The guy emptied his account straight away so paypal didn't pay up and the credit card said it was a payment authorised by me so not fraudulent.

The only protection is to be sensible.  Say you'll pick the items up as you or are a friend are local.  Get photos and a telephone landline etc.  And the golden rule, if it sounds too good to be true...

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #17 on: 18 February 2010, 09:26 »
+1      Whatever you do then the scammers will find a way round it. If the item you are buying is valuable then go fetch it. I personally have never been scammed and it must feel real bad but if the item was that valuable to me I would insist on cash on collection or no deal. 

Offline Toby

• I live here
  • Car - less
« Reply #18 on: 18 February 2010, 11:05 »
+1 to wat guy said tbh would be a good idea alot like the eBay system tbh good/negative feed back :d

A real 304bhp 286lbft in a mk4 golf!

Currently down under

Offline turbo.jon

• GTI forum regular
  • mk4 1.8t agu
« Reply #19 on: 18 February 2010, 20:38 »
On a fishing forum i use they use a good system details on there site

http://www.carpforum.com/Shared/Topics.asp?FID=1008

Ive been done once and now very wary when buying from forums as there are so many people being ripped off  :angry: