Author Topic: th3_f15t Mk4 V5 "Teeth Cutting" Restoration  (Read 36119 times)

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
th3_f15t Mk4 V5 "Teeth Cutting" Restoration
« on: 27 March 2015, 20:43 »
Evening all. Here's my little story to share with you all...

Mate of mine calls up and says:

"Mate of mine has a Golf V5 that he's going to scrap if no-one buys it off him. I know you love your Veedubs so thought you might be interested in taking it on and fixing it up." Challenge accepted.

Now I'm a Mk5 Golf fan boy, not too keen on the Mk4 if I'm honest but I had to at least look at the thing, right? Can’t let a good car get scrapped if it can be saved with some minor work.

“Oh, by the way, it’s got some running issues. The cooling fans don’t come on when it gets hot, so they’ve been hard wired to stay on the whole time.” Ah, right… Not a big drama.

Send me some photos of the car I said, so I could look it at least a little bit:

Just another Mk4 to me, but that engine is attractive. And the asking price is low enough that the gamble is worth the risk I thought to myself. So I went to have a look at it and came up with the following list of faults:

3 faults from my scanner (need to get the codes again, lost them from my scanning tool)
-   Crank angle sensor (assume this is the same as a camshaft sensor)
-   Something with the cooling system (shocker)
-   Something with the ignition barrel
Brakes full of air
Cooling issues (as mentioned)
Drivers side lock needs replacing, can’t put the key in
Rear wiper arm missing and the motor doesn’t even work
Front bumper is in need of a respray, looks like it’s been shunted (maybe why the cooling doesn’t work?)
Passenger mirror has taken a hit and needs new casing, possibly whole unit (although it does work)
Damn good service
Paint work is not great, many spots of rust (only spots though) and scraps/marks

Normally I’d walk away when I see crank angle sensor issues, but the thing runs so sweet (despite several faults) although those brakes need serious attention! The calipers, pads and discs, although rusted solid, are all pretty good with life left on them so I think it’s air in the system from being sat for months on end.

The interior just needs a good clean and a few trim bits swapped for better condition ones, the rear seat that folds down is a bit dodgy so may need to repair/replace that as well, but everything work and it’s amazingly good condition, despite being filthy. And there’s enough change scattered about to pay for at least an oil filter!

Other good bits, it’s done just 95,000 miles and been carefully owned (apparently). The engine bay is proper tidy and it appears it has been treated well. Just became unloved once the faults appeared. The plan as it stands is to bring it back to it’s former glory then pass it onto someone who’ll either love it or take it to new levels. Unless I keep it as a track toy…

Any advice, hints or tips is more than welcome and requested!
« Last Edit: 10 April 2015, 14:23 by th3_f15t »

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline hardmonkeys

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Re: th3_f15t Mk4 V5 "Wheeler Dealer" Style
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2015, 07:23 »
Bring it on, looking forward to see this progress
'05 VW Golf Mk V GT TDI Laser Blue
'98 VW Golf Mk IV GTi Black
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi
'58 VW Golf Mk V GT Sport TDI Steel Grey
'10 Audi A4 B8 SE Multitronic

'00 VW Golf Mk III.V Cabrio

MK3.5 Cabrio 2.0 8v Automatic to 2.0 16v Manual Conversion Project

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272728.

www.dorsetautorestore.co.uk

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2015, 07:32 »
The V5 isn't a particularly good engine, certainly not quick and pretty poor economy too.  Crank sensor is a common problem, it's situated at the bottom right corner as you look into the bay on most cars.  It's a right angled sender and the insulation breaks down at the bend.  Shouldn't be too difficult to swap out for new.  Have a look on the usual sites to see how much these go for, as by spending too much getting it up to scratch, you'll surpass the pretty low ceiling price I expect.  Your call though, and good luck with whatever you decide.
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2015, 08:54 »
Cheers mate. I got the car pretty cheap and if I keep spending low it'll be worth it. If I spend just enough making it run and tidy it up I could get a good return.

Or I could swap the engine for a BAM unit and have some fun. Either way, the crank sensor is number 3 job, 1st is the brakes and 2nd is the cooling system. Max budget on sorting all these issues out is £75 really.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2015, 14:34 »
So the crank angle sensor is no longer outputting a fault code, but it was intermittent anyway so I’ll monitor that. The other two faults that remain are:

01271 – Positioning Motor for Temperature Flap (V68) – static – Faulty
00849 – S-contact at ignition Starter Switch (D) – static – Undefined switch condition

First fault is most likely the reason that the cooling fans won’t come on when required, but think the radiator fan switch may also be defective so I’ll get it tested and replaced if required.

Second fault I’m a bit lost on and a bit scared to play with the ignition wiring but may be a loose wire or something. Anyone who can tell me more I’d be very grateful!

Add to this list that the boot lock also doesn't let you put the key in. Things are getting stupid with this Golf now but I'm revelling the Wheeler Dealer challenge. Once I get the major faults sorted, it'll be cosmetic tidy up on a super budget.
« Last Edit: 28 March 2015, 20:13 by th3_f15t »

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 31 March 2015, 19:25 »
Little update, could be the thermostat according to a handy uncle. Because the fans are wired to stay on the whole time, looks likely the previous owner had the wires pulled out and shorted together to crate a constant circuit so will replace the 'stat and bleed the brakes fully next week. Fingers crossed £35 and a days work sort it for MOT!

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #6 on: 31 March 2015, 19:40 »
boot lock will just be a case of slowly getting your key in there with plenty of plus gas or WD-40, just give it time.

can't believe people still do that with the fans...

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 31 March 2015, 20:08 »
boot lock will just be a case of slowly getting your key in there with plenty of plus gas or WD-40, just give it time.

Sure that boot lock advice has been given to me about something else in life... :whistle: Thanks for the tips mate.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 31 March 2015, 20:14 »

Sure that boot lock advice has been given to me about something else in life... :whistle: Thanks for the tips mate.
yeah getting your head through the door without hurting your ears  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline hardmonkeys

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #9 on: 31 March 2015, 20:45 »
Lol...sorry..that made me chuckle  :laugh:
'05 VW Golf Mk V GT TDI Laser Blue
'98 VW Golf Mk IV GTi Black
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi
'58 VW Golf Mk V GT Sport TDI Steel Grey
'10 Audi A4 B8 SE Multitronic

'00 VW Golf Mk III.V Cabrio

MK3.5 Cabrio 2.0 8v Automatic to 2.0 16v Manual Conversion Project

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272728.

www.dorsetautorestore.co.uk