Author Topic: New Tyres  (Read 4390 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
New Tyres
« on: 22 September 2018, 12:10 »
Costco have a current offer of 80 quid off if you buy four Michelin PS4 so all in fitted would be about £332. I've been looking on all the usual tyre sites and can't get anywhere near that price. Dilemma is I've still got approx 3mm left on the front and about 5-6mm on the rears (factory Bridgestone). Going by the mileage I've done I reckon I've got another 2 to 2.5k miles left on the fronts but with the cold weather approaching I'm thinking of just changing all four. Not sure to wait for next Costco offer but don't know how often they appear. Any opinions would be appreciated.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: New Tyres
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2018, 12:21 »
That is a bargain, but I'm simply too tight to throw away my Bridgestones while there is still a lot of tread on them.
If I hadn't spent a fortune this summer, I could have been tempted though :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2018, 12:37 »
I've got plenty on the rears but if I was replacing the fronts I'd just do all 4. They do seem a good price although I've never been to Costco for tyres.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2018, 12:40 »
I was thinking exactly the same and have slightly less tread on mine. Costco offer on Michelin’s are every 3 to 4 months but the discount is usually 50 or 60 for 18s

Offer runs out tomorrow so better hurry!
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2018, 12:41 »
A bargain is only a bargain if you need it. My wifes latest shoes may be a bargain to her as they were half price, but as she has a cupboard full of shoes that aren't worn out yet, she didn't need them.

Tyres on the otherhand will wear out, so why not buy them now and keep them 'in stock' until you are ready for them?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2018, 12:44 »
Go for it! You could always put the two tyres that have decent tread on them on eBay?

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2018, 13:06 »
A bargain is only a bargain if you need it. My wifes latest shoes may be a bargain to her as they were half price, but as she has a cupboard full of shoes that aren't worn out yet, she didn't need them.

Tyres on the otherhand will wear out, so why not buy them now and keep them 'in stock' until you are ready for them?
They need to be fitted today or tomorrow for the offer.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2018, 13:08 »
Go for it! You could always put the two tyres that have decent tread on them on eBay?
Probably a waste of time seeing as though they are Bridgestone and everyone hates them when new let alone a part worn. :grin:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2018, 13:28 »
Do all people advocate having the tyres with most tread on the rear? I could just swap front to rear for now and wait for the next tyre offer but then I'd only have 3mm on the rears.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 22 September 2018, 13:30 »
I could just swap front to rear for now and wait for the next tyre offer but then I'd only have 3mm on the rears.

That's what I'd do, you'll still have 3mm on the rears in 6 months. The Michelins may well be better but there's life in them yet!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.