Author Topic: Bought new wheels - with the photos  (Read 9141 times)

Offline simon911abc

• Not said much yet
Bought new wheels - with the photos
« on: 21 September 2018, 18:42 »
Bit the bullet and bought a brand new set of VW OEM Monza's for the GTI. Better to keep it original I think. It's going in for the paint on Monday and will be off the road for a week. The bodyshop said they'll fit the wheels at the same time, so should be a nice transformation.

Taken some photos for posterity in my front room. They will look this good for precisely 10 minutes once they're on the car.....

« Last Edit: 21 September 2018, 18:45 by simon911abc »

Offline jord91

• Not said much yet
Re: Bought new wheels - with the photos
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2018, 19:42 »
look so perfect !!! where did you buy these from ?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2018, 20:26 »
They look good.

Before the wheels go on the car, I’d take the opportunity to add a couple of layers of sealant / wax or a coating such as Gtechniq C5 to the fronts and the backs (barrels) to ensure they’re well protected against the elements, especially with the winter weather not too far away.

Looking forward to seeing your car with its new paintwork and wheels on :smiley:. I had a mk6 GTD in Carbon Grey, which was an exclusive colour for just the Golf GTI and GTD models, and it’s still one of my favourite colours. It’s just a shame VW dropped the colour when mk7.5 facelift was launched.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2018, 21:06 »
Monza shadows are such good looking wheel! Great purchase, they will look amazing on the car. As said above, a good sealing is recommended to keep the whiteworm away.

Looking forward to seeing the car getting closer to it's former glory!

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2018, 22:50 »
I think the MK 6 with Monza Shadows looks far better than any of the Mk7s - but I suppose I am a bit biased. Enjoy!! Looking forward to the photos when the paintwork is back to pristine.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2018, 11:46 »
 :cool: they look fantastic. I always wanted a set but main dealer price put me off.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 23 September 2018, 16:02 »
They will look spot on. Have you got new center caps too?

And don't forget, with the valve in the 6 o clock position, the center cap VW badge should be the right way up.  :wink:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 23 September 2018, 16:49 »
They will look spot on. Have you got new center caps too?

And don't forget, with the valve in the 6 o clock position, the center cap VW badge should be the right way up.  :wink:

And if you ever need to remove the centre caps after they’ve been fitted, don’t lever/prise them out from the front, as you’ll be likely to damage the lacquered surface around the centre bore.

Broken or damaged lacquer = ideal conditions for the onset of white worm corrosion. Take the wheel off the car and push the centre cap out from the reverse side.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline mwad gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 23 September 2018, 21:53 »
They look good.

Before the wheels go on the car, I’d take the opportunity to add a couple of layers of sealant / wax or a coating such as Gtechniq C5 to the fronts and the backs (barrels) to ensure they’re well protected against the elements, especially with the winter weather not too far away.

Looking forward to seeing your car with its new paintwork and wheels on :smiley:. I had a mk6 GTD in Carbon Grey, which was an exclusive colour for just the Golf GTI and GTD models, and it’s still one of my favourite colours. It’s just a shame VW dropped the colour when mk7.5 facelift was launched.
Good advice
Candy White 3 dr Manual 2012 GTi. Bought new.
DAB, Dynaudio, Kenwood Head Unit Upgrade, Private Plate,
Full Leather and Heated Seats
18" Shadow Monzas, luxury pack.
Colour coded side skirts and gloss black diffuser.

Offline Charliemk6

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 25 September 2018, 08:30 »
They look really nice, I regret selling my Monzas and going aftermarket tbh.

Monzas suit the car so well and really make it look classy.

Think I will sell my Vossens.

Also is it possible to paint over the diamond cut finish? 
Does it cause any issues or does there have to be any special process?

Thanks,