Author Topic: GTD Sound Actuator  (Read 82800 times)

Offline JHWP

• Not said much yet
Re: GTD Sound Actuator
« Reply #210 on: 03 April 2018, 14:00 »
It is a shame if V.W. no longer offer the sport and sound pack on the GTD. The sound of the GTD is one area that is a bit of a let down and the sport and sound pack option was a nice little bump in the right direction to help with that, a relatively cheap option too. My MK7 GTD does not have the sport and sound pack but I wish it did for the external sound actuator, the red calipers I could do without though personally. I wonder why they dropped it? Must be to do with lower noise limits as mentioned. I've driven a MK7 GTD in sport mode with the sport and sound pack and listenend to it while stationary while being reved and at the side of the road while being driven hard by someone else and I wouldn't describe the noise level as being high or obnoxious. A standard MK7 GTI is louder. Could be different noise limits for petrol and diesel cars maybe.

Offline JasonGTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #211 on: 04 April 2018, 12:45 »
I've had a quick look regarding this too, ABT used to offer a sound box for Golfs this is no longer on offer so that kinda says that the Actuator/Sound Module has been removed from current models and obviously the S&S pack is no longer available.
2018 MK 7.5 GTD 3 Dr in Pure White,Extras,Front Splitter, Carbon Exhaust Tips.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #212 on: 04 April 2018, 14:57 »
I think its because of "New EU Regulation No. 540/2014 on the sound level of motor vehicles"... which applies to new types after 1st July 2016.... the Mk7.5 will have a new vehicle type approval after that date, so will have to apply.

I suspect its this.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #213 on: 10 April 2018, 07:39 »
TBH, whilst I know the sound is 100% fake on my GTD, the Sport and Sound pack on my car still makes me giggle, as it sounds really throaty in sport mode (I usually have it set to engine sound - sport, in the individual mode).

Weirdly, I'm not expecting my new GTI to sound as good unless I hammer it, but then I suppose there will be other benefits instead.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #214 on: 10 April 2018, 09:00 »
You'll be surprised Andrew. Once the exhaust has run in you'll here a nicer and than on the Gtd. Will you be turning the soundaktor off? First thing I did when I bought mine.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #215 on: 17 April 2018, 20:35 »
Our GTD with S&S pack is way louder and throatier than the GTI & R.
I wish they had that option on them as well.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #216 on: 17 April 2018, 20:44 »
Yeah but the GTi and r is a natural external sound unlike the s+s gtd which is a fake sound.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #217 on: 17 April 2018, 21:03 »
Yeah but the GTi and r is a natural external sound unlike the s+s gtd which is a fake sound.

I'm not saying its not fake but its louder with a deeper growl than the R and GTI.
Apart from VW enthusiasts nobody is going to know.
Personally I'd rather have the GTD sound set up any day.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #218 on: 18 April 2018, 06:43 »
Hmm not sure about taking a fake gtd exhaust sound over a proper sound any day. Etto though  :smiley:

Offline JasonGTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #219 on: 18 April 2018, 08:33 »
Hmm not sure about taking a fake gtd exhaust sound over a proper sound any day. Etto though  :smiley:

True, but I'd rather have the fake sound than it sounding like the oil burner that it is.
2018 MK 7.5 GTD 3 Dr in Pure White,Extras,Front Splitter, Carbon Exhaust Tips.