Author Topic: Gearchange into 5th?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline +49

• Here all the time
Gearchange into 5th?
« on: 16 January 2007, 20:58 »
My 16v engages every gear perfectly no crunchs , no resistants even into reverse and from cold, only problem is i find it really hard to find 5th? i mean studidly hard(i seem to go from 4th to 3rd) , now i've driven proberly over 20 diff cars in my time and never found it this hard in a car , i think i had the hang of it today by kinda pressing down and pulling towards me ? it worked ok , and when i do find it , it  doesn't crunch or anything engages perfect? strange?

is this car problem ? or just a thing bout driving a 1990's car? lol

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
Re: Gearchange into 5th?
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2007, 21:02 »
I think its to do with the gear linkage and probably a small linkage rod wearing out or the gear linkage alignmnet that causes you to have a hard time getting 5th gear !

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=33100.0

See if this helps ?
« Last Edit: 16 January 2007, 21:10 by Uruk Hai »

Offline sesterfield

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2007, 01:29 »
It happened to my car too - it was one of the white plastic linkage inside the engine bay - I'll get a picture tomorrow if you like?

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2007, 09:38 »
yup snapped end on a linkage, usually the small one.
http://www.vwspares.co.uk, or nick one from your local scrappy :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline +49

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2007, 09:46 »
It happened to my car too - it was one of the white plastic linkage inside the engine bay - I'll get a picture tomorrow if you like?

yeah that would be great if you could m8, is this hard to change?  i'm hopfully getting a m8s dad who works at citroen dealership whos  gonna get the car on the ramps for me.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2007, 09:57 »
dont bother putting it up on ramps, this will make it harder to see the linkage :grin:
Check out the link Uruk Hai posted, this shows the linkage, along with the 2 plastic rods etc.  Also gives you a complete guide on how to repair the linkage, which you might as well do at the same time :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.