Author Topic: A question of Price's?  (Read 1292 times)

Offline +49

• Here all the time
A question of Price's?
« on: 09 January 2007, 20:07 »
Guys looking for a mk2 atm got my heart set on a l8er model 16v in need of some attention as i want a 2nd car project

Just a few questions into   mk2 GTI's and what demands  more money

8v to 16v? is a mint 16v worth "alot" more than an 8v of same age and con , spec etc?

Is a non power steering car more sougth after? they have any handling benifits? or are they generaly to be avoided? are they alot harder to drive etc?

Wats diff between say 87 model gti'S and 1990-91 models? the eariler look "skinnier" i assume this is due to the smaller bumpers? are the older models worth general alot less than say a 1991 model? where there many changed VW made over the years that make then alot better and more sougth after cars?

Alot of the cheaper cars i am looking at don't seem to have the orignal wheels (bbs on the 16vs) are these expensive to source after? is it alot better to find one with the alloys ?

thx alot for any help of advise guys

« Last Edit: 09 January 2007, 20:31 by +49 »

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
Re: A question of Price's?
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2007, 12:26 »
any easier answer would be to state your budget then we'll tell you what you are likely to find for that money!

Offline +49

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2007, 13:28 »
Basically i am lookng at a problem atm, looking at 2 cars

ones 125k a 8v 2 door in dark blue good con inside no power steering no much s/h some minor just 1989 model , needs a metal water pipe to the water pump which has a hoel sligthly and will loose water over time but nothing majour(not sure if this is expensive to repair) comes with the orignal looking bbs looking alloys and looks completly orignal runs perfect

155k 1988 16v black 3 door with loads of history ,power steer, leather interior,electric windows , has non orignal wheels tho and the bonnet has been changed and sprayed but still has red around the inside grills? (hpi clear) has 10 owners runs perfect but is 400 miles away

now which is more valuble as a classic? both same price? which would u go for?

Offline jase555

• Here all the time
  • DUBS DONT DIE, THEY JUST GET LOWER!!
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2007, 19:21 »
hmmm difficult one that.
the mileage and the original alloys would have me intrested in the 8v.
the leather interior and the 16v engine would have me looking at the valver.

hard to say really. both sound like they are going to need a lot of time and money throwing at them but only after you have bought one will you really find out how much.

personally if you can wait i would look around and bide my time for a 1991 16v as the later golfs had more spec. get one with service history and no more that 5 owners at most. make sure it hasn't been bent (too much) and has mileage of around 100 - 120K. you would look to pay say £1200 upwards but will be worth it. i consider my 89 8v to be in good condition, no rust, mechanically sound, but i have spent over £2000 on her now easy but only because she has a good foundation, eg body, engine etc. (the car not the wife).

where as the wifes 90 8v has bad rot under the rear arch and other places, its had new powersteering rack, head gasket, heater matrix, gear box, power steering pump, etc etc. and is still knowwhere near mechanically sound.

if you really want one of the 2 you have seen i would go for the 8v think but only if you cant wait for a good valver.

hope this helps
DUBS DONT DIE, THEY JUST GET LOWER!!

Offline +49

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2007, 20:46 »
hmmm difficult one that.
the mileage and the original alloys would have me intrested in the 8v.
the leather interior and the 16v engine would have me looking at the valver.

hard to say really. both sound like they are going to need a lot of time and money throwing at them but only after you have bought one will you really find out how much.

personally if you can wait i would look around and bide my time for a 1991 16v as the later golfs had more spec. get one with service history and no more that 5 owners at most. make sure it hasn't been bent (too much) and has mileage of around 100 - 120K. you would look to pay say £1200 upwards but will be worth it. i consider my 89 8v to be in good condition, no rust, mechanically sound, but i have spent over £2000 on her now easy but only because she has a good foundation, eg body, engine etc. (the car not the wife).

where as the wifes 90 8v has bad rot under the rear arch and other places, its had new powersteering rack, head gasket, heater matrix, gear box, power steering pump, etc etc. and is still knowwhere near mechanically sound.

if you really want one of the 2 you have seen i would go for the 8v think but only if you cant wait for a good valver.

hope this helps

hmm ok m8 so generaly wait out for a

16v

power steering with high spec etc

1990 model

with decent history and owners

orignal

these are the main things to maintain classicness to it? cos i am looking as this as a project car i allready have a main car so it will be pampered and kept for years come etc

thx for advise m8