Author Topic: is this serious?!...  (Read 2138 times)

Offline -HellRaza-

• GTI forum regular
is this serious?!...
« on: 22 December 2003, 10:55 »
yo there,
                first off MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!

anyway, i dunno if this is serious, but i need suggestions as to what it is...! i have a 1.3mk2 (1992), which has just had a new gearbox shuved in, but yesterday, driving it back from the garage, this sudden high pitched squeal came from the drivers side of the engine when i was accelerating (around 60-70mph), this happened 3 times, and only stopped when i slowed down...
it was also happening before i had my new gearbox...so... i havent got a clue what it is, kinda hoping u guys would know... is it somthing slipping?...my fanbelt was tightened a while ago, and my timing belt is fairly tight... HELP!...!!!!! i hope this aint serious as me gearbox cost me ?200!! :(...

Thnx

Offline davidhawkins_78

• I live here
  • Valver Bad Boy
Re:is this serious?!...
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2003, 10:58 »
drivers side sounds like the alternator belt - have you checked the teeth on the belt as well as the tension ??

'89 Monza Blue Valver
to quote a VW engineer, "the Mk1 was the prototype, the Mk2, the real thing!"

golfvr6

« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2003, 11:18 »
Probably the fan belt or alternator bearing. Take the belt off and see if the noise dissappears. If not then its probably the water pump, so get it sorted straight away as cam belt could get damaged.

Offline -HellRaza-

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2003, 12:29 »
yo there,
             cheers guys, but my father has gone and had a look... apparently its the speedo cable...?!! im gonna try it out and see if hes right, still, i will report back later...:)

Thnx again

golfvr6

« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2003, 13:14 »
Try disconnecting it.

turbo

« Reply #5 on: 30 December 2003, 20:31 »
gearboxes dont squeel they grind....

if it was the drivers side the gearbox is on the left handside so it wont be the g box...
it will be something to do with the belts and or tentionors.. or like ppl have said your water pump......
if you rev it up in neutral it should do the same thing as if your doing 70mph........

turbo

« Reply #6 on: 30 December 2003, 20:33 »
could even be a wheel bearing......but its 99% its your fan belts water gets on them........