Author Topic: here we go again - 1.3 mk2 with no idle!! :(  (Read 1497 times)

Offline -HellRaza-

• GTI forum regular
here we go again - 1.3 mk2 with no idle!! :(
« on: 03 November 2005, 14:49 »
hey

it seems i have no end of problems with this bloody car... and all i wanna do is sell it!! it is a 1.3 mk2 1990 5 door in silver (if anyones interested!!)..

right, have basically just changed the headgasket on it (among other things!) in an attempt to part with the old girl, and let someone else enjoy her  :smiley:, stuck it all back to together, started her up and theres no idle what-so-ever, doesnt even attempt to, so, knowing that my carb was knackered, bought another carb off of a fellow golfgti.co.uk member, in the hope that that would sort my problem... it hasnt, and im really confused as to what the problem is! theres no loose wires, and everythings connected... although, having fitted the new carb there is a very loud squeal coming from it.. not sure where yet, but it gets louder as you rev the car... could this be related?? i assume its a knackered hose/seal, or something loose letting air escape.... not sure yet! anyone got any ideas why it would just stop idle'ing?

cheers

alex

Offline Haribo!

• I live here
Re: here we go again - 1.3 mk2 with no idle!! :(
« Reply #1 on: 03 November 2005, 14:56 »
did you get the carb from me by any chance? the squeal may be a worn carb gasket, thats one of the things that was wrong with mine, but its REALLY hard to find a replacement one, plus i couldnt see how the old one came off so i gave up, have a feel round the back of the carb cause thats where the air leak tends to be
Harry

Offline Si

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 03 November 2005, 17:54 »
Failing that, there is also a rubber joint between the Carb, and inlet manifold. These can perrish and split. You can get replacement gaskets for carb from GSF but not sure if you have to buy them as a kit (not seperately)?  :undecided:
Ive never known a carb make a squeele noise tho, sure its the carb making the noise? Is it more like a hissing noise?
I LOVE THE SOUND OF CARBS IN THE MORNING

Offline -HellRaza-

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 03 November 2005, 18:18 »
yep, pretty sure its coming from the carb... really strange... the rubber joint was in good condition, and i even chucked a load of gasket sealant in there just to be sure!...

my issue is that im not sure if these problems are related... i really dont know!

oh and yeah, harry chap it was you mate... have emailed you about it! still, i know how hard it is to find a replacement (took me ages!), and im not willing to spend huge amounts on a recon... still, if i can figure what the issue is then ill just repair it... theres bound to be somewhere that does spares for these things..!

cheers

alex

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #4 on: 07 November 2005, 09:45 »
wiggle the carb, if the uneven idle/squeel gets worse then fork out for a new gasket :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline -HellRaza-

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 07 November 2005, 12:41 »
right, think i have figured out what is causing the car not too idle, seems that (referring to my haynes manual! page 4A 13 in the 1984-92 edition if anyone wants to have a look) the stage II vacuum unit is knackered (if anyone knows a name for this that vw are gonna understand then please get it to me asap!!)...

started the car, then with one hand on the throttle and the other pushing up this rod thing that connects to a part just below the choke that controls the cars idle, let go of the throttle and hey presto the car was idling  :grin:... until i let go of course  :rolleyes:! but hey, tis a step closer to getting this thing going again!!

seems that the squeal doesnt seem to be related though (unless its air leaking from a channel that controls the vacuum of the unit i talked about above), changed the main gasket with one in better condition, but this hasnt helped... genuinely cant work out what it is!...

alex

« Last Edit: 07 November 2005, 15:06 by -HellRaza- »