Author Topic: Any mechanics out there?  (Read 3159 times)

Offline -HellRaza-

• GTI forum regular
Any mechanics out there?
« on: 27 February 2005, 21:52 »
hey
       im the 'fairly' irritated owner of a mint silver 1991 mk2 1.3 golf, good miles, ive had for almost 2 years now, and has done me proud, but now its just a pain in the arse!... so much so, i darent go anywhere due to being afraid of it breaking down! still, ill get to the point!...
                    i get the impression its going to need the following replaced.. and before you say 'it isnt worth it!,' well i need to sell this (500ish) thing for as much as possible (saving for my next car, which, im afraid isnt a veedub, but it is german  :wink:), and if im right, it shouldnt cost too much either...  :smiley:

the major problem is that i get the impression the head gasket is in serious need of being replaced, as there is hell of alot mayo on the filler cap, but for some reason no sign of any leaks/or any water being used... there is however oil leaking from the cylinder head, the gasket seems fine.... but what i need to know is -, is replacing the head gasket an easyish job?? its not a particularly complex engine, and i have my trusty haynes manual/tools...  :rolleyes:!

then second major problem is that the car has been suffering from 'carb icing' for quite a while, and its getting worse... so what course of action should i take?? is it possible to refurbish my original unit (pierburg 2e2)?? what would i need to do?? if not, how much would a refurbished unit (if its possible to get one?!!) cost?... and where am i gonna get one from?!

another problem ive found is that there is a distinct smell of petrol, which makes its way through the blower... would this be carb related?? or is there more to it?!

other things that need to be done is a damn good clean, and new pads/discs, but thankfully all the issues can be solved by me/my trainee mechanic brother... so labour costs arent an issue!

anyway, i would really appreciate any advice, especially with the carb issue...

cheers
                                                                Alex

Offline Veedub1989

• GTI forum regular
Re: Any mechanics out there?
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2005, 16:48 »

the major problem is that i get the impression the head gasket is in serious need of being replaced, as there is hell of alot mayo on the filler cap, but for some reason no sign of any leaks/or any water being used... there is however oil leaking from the cylinder head, the gasket seems fine.... but what i need to know is -, is replacing the head gasket an easyish job?? its not a particularly complex engine, and i have my trusty haynes manual/tools...  :rolleyes:!

I used to have a 1.3 in my Golf before doing a 16v conversion, and although I never changed the headgasket in the 1.3 I have dismantled the engine. Is a relatively simple job, all parts availble from GSF. Just set aside a weekend to be safe, buy new head bolts, head gasket etc and make sure (this is very important) that you get the head skimmed (mine cost ?40 on a 16v 'KR'). Otherwise, judging by how much it appears to have gone already, it WILL go again (belive me ive been there  :cry:).
VW Golf 1989 2.0L 16v

Offline Veedub1989

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2005, 16:56 »

then second major problem is that the car has been suffering from 'carb icing' for quite a while, and its getting worse... so what course of action should i take?? is it possible to refurbish my original unit (pierburg 2e2)?? what would i need to do?? if not, how much would a refurbished unit (if its possible to get one?!!) cost?... and where am i gonna get one from?!

another problem ive found is that there is a distinct smell of petrol, which makes its way through the blower... would this be carb related?? or is there more to it?!

For a replacement carb (?100 + ?7.50 P&P)......see:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9889&item=4531025463&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Personally wouldn't bother refurbing carb - although mine did run better after i removed it and cleaned it with petrol and a toothbursh. Likewise, there are books (see Halfords) about rebuilding these units available.

Petrol smell probably because the carb is overfuelling, they are renowned for buggering up and needing setting up on a regular basis.

hope this all helps  :wink:
VW Golf 1989 2.0L 16v

Offline -HellRaza-

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 01 March 2005, 09:46 »
Whats involved when 'skimming' the head?? it didnt occur to me that, when it came to changing the head gasket, id have to do more than simply remove the old one and bung on a new one!....

as for the carb, a ?100 seems a bit steep, im on a serious budget as im furiously saving for my next car (which will hopefully prove to be less of a pain, and more of a pleasure!) before i get stuck with a golf that doesnt move...! i know it seems daft, but the more i spend on this heap, the more time im gonna have to keep working my arse off to get my next car/insurance! it might prove easier, and less costing if i attempt to refurbish the old unit (will have to go look for that book you mentioned!) before i go throwing my money at another one....

thanks for the help, it really is appreciated!
                                                         Alex

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 01 March 2005, 10:00 »
Its not always necessary to skim the head.
Check it is flat and that there is no damage.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline Justins145bhpMK1

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 01 March 2005, 11:54 »

But for the sake of a small amount of money it is prudent to have it skimmed for peace of mind, you dont want the gasket to fail after all your hard graft!

Offline Tucker

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 01 March 2005, 13:34 »

the major problem is that i get the impression the head gasket is in serious need of being replaced, as there is hell of alot mayo on the filler cap, but for some reason no sign of any leaks/or any water being used... there is however oil leaking from the cylinder head, the gasket seems fine....

Do you do short trips in it? long drives etc? Oil leaking from the top or the bottom of the head?
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/sydney04/mk116vsmallpic.jpg

Sig too large, see forum guidelines - Admin.

Judderi

« Reply #7 on: 01 March 2005, 15:40 »
Im no expert and ive never worked on carbs but i think some have an electrical pre warm up thing that stops them icing. Kinda looks like a little hedgehog. Worth checking out if yours has one and if its working.

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 01 March 2005, 17:11 »
There is also a pipe that goes to the exhaust shroud on the manifold. There is a flap inside the air intake with an air temp sensor, if the temp is low then it opens up to the warm air intake, and closes the normal air intake.
Check this is all working and intact.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline Veedub1989

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 01 March 2005, 18:46 »
Its not always necessary to skim the head.
Check it is flat and that there is no damage.

It is really difficult to check a cylinder head which may be 1-3 thou out! (i.e. 1-3 thousanths of 1 inch!). I mean im not blind, i guess my eyes are ok, but this is nearly impossible to see. how can you expect to do this without some sort of error in judgement?? For the sake of ?40 its worth the piece of mind. I had the same problem with mine on my valver, didnt get head skimmed and it went within 100 miles. And it was only 3-4 thou out!!!!!! up to you just my 2 cents  :wink:
VW Golf 1989 2.0L 16v