Author Topic: Stealth Shelf and a Nice System  (Read 7981 times)

Offline Ashley

• I live here
Stealth Shelf and a Nice System
« on: 02 May 2008, 13:36 »
Hi Guys,

I've not really ventured into this section of the forum before, by the looks of it you all know what you're on about so it's worth a shot!

2 things;

Stealth Shelf
At the moment I've got 2 6x9's wired up to my sony cd player, no amp etc etc and I made an MDF parcelshelf with the speakers simply sitting in the wood, covered in black fabric.

How good/worth it are stealth shelf's? I've got rear tints at the moment, but I want to take them out but, not without being able to hide the fact I've got or planning on having an alright sound system in the back. Basically are they worth the money and does anyone know where i might get 1 for a decent price? (or even someone selling 1 in grey/beige second hand?)

A worthwhile 'rig'
Simple question - what would make a good 'rig' and which techniques should I go for? a wheel arch install or a false floor etc? Im wanting a kind of basic 6x9/sub with amp set-up, then get some decent speakers for the front and I'm planning on getting a better sony cd player which has a pre-out or 2.

I was thinking of the following gear: http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/5052.html , but i know this is pretty basic and i have got a little bit more money to play with.. could I get away with the 1 amp powering the sub/6x9's etc?

I really am abit of a noob when it comes to car audio, so any help would be wicked!

Cheers

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Re: Stealth Shelf and a Nice System
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2008, 13:51 »
Stealth shelf - if you can find a second hand one yes. Bit overpriced new!
personally my 6x9's are on full show and have been for years with no problems!

Sub is best in wheelarch if you want to keep a usable boot!

Mine is mainly Sony gear and does me!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Bootneck

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2008, 16:01 »
To be honest running 6 x 9's in the same air space you're running a Sub is a waste of time,the Bass from the sub interferes with the 6x9's and can cause distortion problems. You're better off with good comps up front and a sub in the rear. Speakers behind also move the sound stage rearwards which is not the way music should be listened to. To put it in easy to understand terms,you don't go to a concert and stand at the back facing away from the stage do you?
Good Advise is something men give when too old to set a bad example

Offline Ashley

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2008, 16:04 »
very good point yeah. But surely if i get a good pair of comps (could you recommend any please?) and this 'rig' in the back, I'm going to get a good sound in both the back and front? as you can tell im complete noob.

Offline Bootneck

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2008, 16:15 »
Componenets are limited by your budget to be honest,I'd look at Rainbow kit myself or high end Infinity. Also may be worth checking a site I reccomend a lot www.audioethos.co.uk , they do old stock and second user kit,it is all thoroughly tested and you want find better kit for the money,ok so some of it's not as pretty as the latest kit but it is all much better than anything available for the same money.

Offline Ashley

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2008, 09:02 »
thanks for the link..

can anyone recommend me a good set-up then? i.e products, prices etc? what would work?

if you think i need components up front, which 1's? If i didnt have the 6x9's in the parcelshelf i wouldnt have any speakers at all in the back  :embarassed:

Offline Bootneck

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2008, 09:50 »
You're driving the car in the front,what do you need rear speakers for? If you really feel you need rears put them in the rear side panels so they are away from the sub. As for recomendations,what sort of music do you listen too? And what is your total system Budget for Headunit,Amps,Front components,subs and rears? See we could reccomend stuff but if it's out of your price range or not suitable for the music it's a bit pointless.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2008, 09:52 by Bootneck »

Offline Ashley

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 03 May 2008, 18:50 »
i see your point bootneck..

i listen to mainly 'rock' and some drum and bass.. quite a mixture in between so not really anything specific I'm afraid.

i don't really have a budget at the moment, because anything you recommend is something I can buy piece by piece - but the headunit is sorted, I only really want some decent components for both front and rear (not the most expensive, but maybe £50 - £75?) and a decent sub and amp. I'm going to be making a boot install for the sub and the components tweeters will go along the window in that build which is stickied at the top of the car audio section.

in reality i may get slightly differently to what you recommend depending on money etc, but any help is all cool

Offline Godzilla

• I live here
  • <<<VR6 MADNESS>>>
« Reply #8 on: 03 May 2008, 19:01 »
These sit perfectly in the rear quarters of a golf mate, and there mine, and there for sale  :grin:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220230561774&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=012

Offline Ashley

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 03 May 2008, 19:30 »
wherea abouts do they fit buddy?

ive got a mk3, does that make any dfference?

where would i fit rear components in a mk3 golf 3 door?