Author Topic: mk3 golf subwoofer suggestions without losing boot  (Read 6485 times)

Offline l55lee

• Not said much yet
Re: mk3 golf subwoofer suggestions without losing boot
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2007, 12:13 »
i just won one on ebay yesterday  :grin:

expect i'll have it fitted in about 2/3 weeks once i've picked an amp n sub.. still gotta work out amp fitment somehow

up till now i've had a box i custom made for my old polo wedged in with a chunk of foam.. problem is.. the box sits across the back seats so they wont go down.. is 2 8"s and a amp... the new one is just a 10"

a mate's just got a polo the same size.. i've flogged my old set up to him.. i';ve been dying for a stealthboxz for ages :)

Looks like I'd better keep my eyes open then!  :wink:

I'd appreciate it if you could let me know how you get on with your amp placement.

Cheers

Lee
MK3 16v GTI 3dr in Mystic Blue

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #21 on: 15 May 2007, 13:02 »
Well I hope you find one on ebay for considerably less than the £190 quoted. :shocked:
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2007, 15:01 »
got it delivered for £111 :)

once its here i can choose a sub (need to know depth from hole thats poss)

looks like its gonna be another 200 ish for the sub/amp depending what i go for..

and yeah i'll get pics of the lot up..  :cool:

have had suggestions of mounting the amp under the passenger seat, or possibly on the other side of the boot.. if theres room (i think the auto acoustics site uses 12" ones in the pics..) i may be able to squeeze the amp on the same side...

i;ve only seen one actually "done" install pic off the stealthboxz site and that one had put the amp on the back of the seat next to the box...

they do also make a thing called "ampboxz" for amps.. check their site out..

« Last Edit: 15 May 2007, 15:20 by Overseer »
Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #23 on: 15 May 2007, 15:37 »
It says in the blurb mate (website) that max depth is 170mm.

That looks like a CD changer on the back of the seat!

It is possible to site an amp on the opposite side - either the way I did it with metal brakets or on a board like some guy did recently.

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 15 May 2007, 16:25 »
oh rtaelly.. never really noticed the blurb..  just realised its coz of how i'm getting to the mk3 page...
funny how i linked the page with teh right info on, yet been goin in another way...

was gonna poke something in to measure  :cool: will prob still do that..

170mm.. nearly 7 inches...  sweet

just came back as i'd dug through my internet history and found the pic from earlier..

its as 12" in the larger size box in a leon (which is a golf really..)

source : http://www.seatenthusiasts.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=49620&page=2

tell ya what.. i'll take a pic of mine offered up in the car before i buy subs etc...  :cool:
« Last Edit: 15 May 2007, 16:30 by Overseer »
Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Offline Overseer

• I live here

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #26 on: 16 May 2007, 10:02 »
170mm is not 7 inches! approx 6 and 3/4 inch.

So the quoted mounting depth of the speaker of 6 1/2 inches means that speaker will be a tight fit in that cabinet!

« Last Edit: 16 May 2007, 10:09 by Len405 »

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 16 May 2007, 10:09 »
errr

according to google 170 millimeters (17cm) = 6.69291339 inches
and my ruler agrees too! 

6.5 inchse for the speaker.. sweeeeet..  (the infinity site actually states 166mm )

so there should be 4mm.. so nearly half a cm at least.

if it doesnt fit.. i'll just bump it out a touch with a ring of MDF.. no sweat! :)

i've got a very cunning plan for the amp mounting... gonna be gorgeous!

(had actually ordered the speakers already.. the guy was selling multiple lots..)
« Last Edit: 16 May 2007, 10:21 by Overseer »

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #28 on: 16 May 2007, 10:10 »
was correcting myself as you posted! :embarassed:
Yea missed off an inch somewhere! oooops!

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 16 May 2007, 10:17 »
the box volume is 0.65, the speaker is 0.75.. BUT.. its a VQ sub..

check this text from the auction out.

My test of the this ten inch version was a simple, sealed box at a scarcely believeable .75 cubic feet - the manual suggests you can go down to 0.3 cubic feet but for goodness sake this bass box would be so small the speaker would only just fit!!! The only time I've seen box sizes this small is using aperiodics! Anyway, with my .75 cubic footer this thing just blew my head off

i was originally going to buy the next sub down in the range.. till a coworker spotted this bargain auction

basic plan for the drivers side arch is as follows..

- prototype a carboard template big enough so when translated to MDF it'll have a hole to sink the amp through

- mount the amp sunken by having two metal bars / battons across the back raised on battons of MDF. this'll auto handle most cabling issues as they can be run behind and i assume this may be better for cooling (actually a mdf plate behind wouldnt be too hard either..)

- for mounting this assembly to the car... shaped blocks of foam glued/zip tied or whatever to the back side of amp plate thingy and in turn.. carpetted over + velcro'd to the car itself (just like how the stealthboxz does its sh!t the other side)..

i already have the MDF + box carpet to match my car + spray glue etc. will just need the velcro.

and i've already checked that theres enough length in the exiting cabling to reach.. theres loads of slack hidden away.. the earth lead may be a lil short.. but we'll have to see about that.. and i'll have to run speaker leads from the amp to the sub...

nothing too strenuous really...

i am gonna need some kinda grille for the speaker though as my boot regularly gets filled with skateboards

« Last Edit: 16 May 2007, 10:24 by Overseer »