Author Topic: Buying speakers advise needed please  (Read 7057 times)

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
Re: Buying speakers advise needed please
« Reply #20 on: 02 March 2007, 14:10 »
I havent had any myself but these are suppose to be rather good

http://www.vibeaudio.co.uk/index.asp?page=p-qb69.html&header=p-qb69-h.html&footer=p-qb69-f.html

with reference to these, i have had three sets, why three??  because the tweeters blow off a 200w rms amp, the rms rating of these is much higher i suspect because they state the back cone rms, not the tweeter, they sound excellent, for a while!

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 02 March 2007, 14:15 »
To be able to hear true stereo you need to be in the center of the left and right speakers.

Oh and most peoples hearing doesn't go down past 60 hertz!

very true as far as the stereo comment, and the hearing range of humans too! hence why subs get their name (subsonic ( below audible sound) ) after about 60 Hz down it becomes a physical feeling rather than sound.

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 02 March 2007, 14:17 »
and please check out my DB drag effort topic, on the audio board, may be on the second page now, leave any comments you want and feel free to ask me stuff!

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 02 March 2007, 14:19 »
HEYHO WROTE: The gain controls are there to allow you to match the output of your headunit to your amp.  You can either set them up the teccy way using an oscilloscope, or the loud way, using test tones.  Or you could just set them at half way and hope for the best!

spot on!

use a program called audacity to create any test tones you need, its free.

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #24 on: 02 March 2007, 15:34 »
Tomm I should hope I did get the hearing thing right! One of my daughters is an Audioligist.

Any system is just a compromise as a car is a very hostile environment to reproduce sound in!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Heyho

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 02 March 2007, 18:30 »
Len, I'm in no postion to argue with an audiologist, but the last time I checked, the first (lowest) 14 keys on a piano produce a frequency of below 60hz,  with the lowest being 27.5, and I'm pretty sure that the last time I had a tinkle (so to speak) I could clearly hear them all.

As for the stereo thing, yes, in car hifi is a compromise, but I can assure you that I get a very good stereo image in my mk2.  Tweeter placement is one of the most important things to get right, because this is where most of the higher frequencies occur, and are most detecable from a directional point of view.  People who take SQ installs very seriously often position the tweets half way up the A pillars.

Obviously, the seating position is not ideal, but again, you can compensate for this by using time alignment.  The point I'm trying to make is that with well positioned front components, you will get a pretty good sound stage, because even though you are off centre, you are still sitting between the speakers.  With rear shelf mounted speakers, you'll just get sound, with much of the detail lost before it gets to you.

Offline wilson

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 02 March 2007, 19:09 »
with reference to these, i have had three sets, why three??  because the tweeters blow off a 200w rms amp, the rms rating of these is much higher i suspect because they state the back cone rms, not the tweeter, they sound excellent, for a while!

So are these slightly different from the three sets you've had?  are they a upgrade or newer model?

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #27 on: 02 March 2007, 20:35 »
Well I'm by no means an expert in anything I'm just talking from experiences and knowledge I've picked up along the way. I got into home HiFi over 30 years ago and learned about sound reproduction.
No way can you get decent stereo performance in a car! The experts state that for true stereo seperation the speakers must be at least 8 feet apart and you must be in the middle. This is not possible in any car.
As for the low frequency stuff I was basing my statement on industrial hearing tests I have had but I will check back with my daughter.

As I said whatever you do in a car is a compromise and our hearing is personal and subjective so all we can really do is set a budget, get what we can for that money and get a system that we like to listen to. I dont believe there are any hard and fast rules.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 02 March 2007, 21:15 »
perfect true stereo would be next to near impossible to reproduce, specially for everyone in the car, you get some kind of idea of it though!    what on earth does an audologist do?! like study and help with peoples ears?  there is no way a piano would produce anywhere near down to 30hz this feels like a punch in the back, there is no sound too it! my car is tuned pretty much for this frequency (the subs anyway!)

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 02 March 2007, 21:30 »

So are these slightly different from the three sets you've had?  are they a upgrade or newer model?
these are mine:
now you mention it and i look at the link clearly:

i remember my friend had these ones and they were brought out just after mine, the tweeter looks different (mine has like a trypod guard thing in the hole in with it), they have a hole for venting the tweeter in the back (where the magnet is) and some extra componants/wires where the crossover joins the tweeter (the red stickered bit.), i heared the newer ones, but only briefly, mine sounded good so if they follow suit that they may have fixed them now! they were sold to me (halfrauds) as 500w rms, i assumed they could handle a 200w rms amp, i guess they had some complaints and changed the design, thanks to fools like myself!

the other problem I had with them is similar to people who buy 13inch subs for a bit more rumbling, if you want to change them or need to (as i did!) its hard due to the irregular size, and now im stuck with a useless MDF shelf with square holes in it!
« Last Edit: 02 March 2007, 21:53 by tommk3cab »