Author Topic: Simple Amp Build, In Mk3 Gti  (Read 11294 times)

Offline mark-mk3gti

• I live here
Re: Simple Amp Build, In Mk3 Gti
« Reply #20 on: 04 March 2010, 22:11 »
Hi mate, yeah I'll take a snap rommorrow and post it up, :)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #21 on: 04 March 2010, 22:20 »
JBL car audio is sh!te when you compair to brands like focal and rainbow, try it out, i used to think like you too
As i said it depends what ones you are talking about to label it all is st1t is just ignorant.
The 660GTI components has one of the best small dome tweeters out there and the midbass for a true 6" produces some of the most acurate midbass going. There not cheap but are cheaper than topend focals and give the focal more than a run for there money. The Engineering behind them is also more superior and on Kippler testing has far less distorsion than the focals or rainbow.
The GTI subs are also extremely good sound quality subs. They are just so damb huge which is the problem.
The JBL amps can all be tunned to sound as good as anything out there if you know how to set a system up correctly.

Just a bit of background on me. I was running Rainbow years ago must have been around 95. Then it stopped been imported. I started to import Rainbow direct from a contact i made at the company for friends and my own use back in ~2000 before Amit at PlatinumICE started to official import it ~2002(he sort of got there before i asked lol) It then went to another importer than to the current importers iirc. So i know alot about rainbow and who they are how they started, were they got there ideas  :wink: and how most of them sound. I have also had a large amount of the focals utopia drivers in my time so know what they are like too.

« Last Edit: 04 March 2010, 22:32 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

kells

« Reply #22 on: 04 March 2010, 22:39 »
with all due respect dude, if you think JBL car audio is anywhere clsoe to been as good as the likes of focal and rainbow you really are in a dream world, not meaning to sound tw4tish its just plain boknkers to think otherwise

jbl is cheep and (in my opinion) is sh!te compaired to these brands for car audio, i would class jbl a more entry level brand for car audio personally, iv run jbl car stuff and find it to be poor quality.my best mate just bought some componets (against my advice) for his mk4... and he is very dissapointed with them..

so yeah, not a fan of their car audio stuff at all

not like my home JBL monitoirs which iv had for years and are fantastic, just so you know im not a hater of JBL  :wink:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #23 on: 04 March 2010, 22:54 »
with all due respect dude, if you think JBL car audio is anywhere clsoe to been as good as the likes of focal and rainbow you really are in a dream world, not meaning to sound tw4tish its just plain boknkers to think otherwise
I just wanted to quote that for reference. Not the first time i have been called similar  :wink: Mainly on Talkaudio  :grin: when the market men and there blind followers get going, funny how in the end im right :wink:
As i said have you heard all of JBLs car range? Or the drivers i listed? Not to sound brash as i sometimes come across as but you want to stop listening to the marketing men and dealers and prejudging things before you hear them for yourself. There is so much BS in audio far more than people could ever imagine(the mind and eyes are more powerful than the ears) its unreal i got sick of dealing with it. When you have been involved with the other side you learn Its 98% marketing BS, 2% engineering. And in car audio, Install and tuning rank so much higher up the list than brand of equipment.
« Last Edit: 04 March 2010, 23:00 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

kells

« Reply #24 on: 04 March 2010, 23:02 »
dude are you having a laugh with that reply or what hahaha

i listen to nobody but my ears...

and how the hell do you end up right, i think its pretty obvious to anyone thats not tone deaf, that JBL are not so great when it comes to quality

sorry but you are seroulsly failing here. id stop if i was you :grin:

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 04 March 2010, 23:08 »
After all this talk about jbl subs and promising I'd get one, I was bored and went into local halfrauds cos they bin clearing loads of stuff out, (hence vibe 5.25 comps for 20quid) and I spotted this kicker es sub in proper kicker box etc, i've always liked the look of it, it was stacked up with a load of other mutant crap and some vibe bits, so I asked this young kid how much, he said could be 15 or 25quid, but he asked his gaffer and he had a look and it came up as 40, so bought it, still a bargain but I'm sure they made a booboo cos it had 150 on it then 99 last week! So will get it connected tommorrow, typically i've had nothin to do on my 3days off and pick this up tonight, lol,
never had a ported sub box, so be interesting to see what's it's like, and at that price if I don't like it, if I get same back its no bigy,

what you would want to do (if you are up for it) is build that sub a massive box with a slot port at the bottom/side of it, it won't cost very much at all. The box will need to be fairly large so you probably won't have much space left in the boot. I could design you a box for it if you want... all you would need to do is buy the wood (B+Q) and cut it (B+Q will do some of it for you) then put it all together, like a very easy 3D jigsaw puzzle  :smiley:. I would advise you to listen to it in the box it is in at the moment first and then (if you are up for it) build a box for it and listen to the difference ;)

kells is just very opinionated and makes sure his point is put across.  :grin:

yeah when i know i am right, no point kissing ass and not saying what i think like many others on this wonderfull forum  :wink:

speaking from exp pal, been driving round in cars with big systems long enought to know and trust me JBL car audio really is JUNK BUT LOUD

try something like focal/rainbow etc and you will know waht i mean

If that is to me then I don't need to try either, I have and I was not too impressed. Rainbow are too bright and focal you are mainly paying for the name/the same can be had for cheaper.

much of what snoopy says unfortunately correct  :sad: bonkers or otherwise  :grin:

I have been around for a while too :) long enough to know that if you buy JBL you will think you have spent twice the money you actually have.
Just so you know I am not some kind of JBL fan boy, I don't own and never have owned a single piece of JBL equipment, the equipment I do own (some of it at least) would not even have been heard of by 90% of people with upgraded stereos.

kells

« Reply #26 on: 04 March 2010, 23:16 »
haha ok JBL car audio is better than the likes of focal and rainbow and sound fatastic.. and iv never had JBL car audio equipment nor have my mates  :rolleyes:

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 04 March 2010, 23:44 »
haha ok JBL car audio is better than the likes of focal and rainbow and sound fatastic.. and iv never had JBL car audio equipment nor have my mates  :rolleyes:

I thought you said your friend had some and he was unimpressed?

I bet you I could make the components which he was unimpressed with sound better than my components which (probably) cost about 10 times the price and are much more highly regarded.This is because my current ones are fitted like ass, this makes so much difference it is unreal.

put another way..

I almost guarantee that if I took time with one door and installed one 'unimpressive comp' properly but took no care with the other door and put one of my ''nice'' ones in and then you got in my car, blindfolded ( :evil: :evil: :grin:), you would not be able to tell which door was which, you would almost certainly pick the 'unimpressive' comp as the better sounding one out of the two.

The blindfolded thing is a pretty crucial part, as you say your ears guide you but truth be told (and almost 100% of people are guilty of this) you ears are not the only things you listen with, your eyes and more importantly your brain play a very big part in what you hear, or what you think you hear, or what you expect to hear. If you spend a grand on some comps then there is no chance your brain is going to let you think they sound like ass.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #28 on: 05 March 2010, 12:30 »
dude are you having a laugh with that reply or what hahaha

i listen to nobody but my ears...

and how the hell do you end up right, i think its pretty obvious to anyone thats not tone deaf, that JBL are not so great when it comes to quality

sorry but you are seroulsly failing here. id stop if i was you :grin:
Thats funny  :wink:
I end up right it may take years for others to come round but funny they mostly do.
I use to test and help design the electronic side of highend home audio equipment for a living a few years back so i know what makes something different on the electronic side and what does not. (98% marketing!)
As for the other parts i did say install and tuning if you don't understand these last two points (and few people do to the extent i meen) and the transfer function of the cars interior your basically pissing in the wind.
As i said to label all JBL gear as junk is ignorant, as i said have you heard the 660GTI components or the GTI subs in correct enclosed tuned to that cars cabins responce? Im guessing not.

I don't own and never have owned a single piece of JBL equipment, the equipment I do own (some of it at least) would not even have been heard of by 90% of people with upgraded stereos.
I have a funny feeling your talking peerless, scanspeak and alike?
« Last Edit: 05 March 2010, 12:36 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #29 on: 05 March 2010, 12:43 »
^^^

This man speaks the truth. It's exactly the same case for televisions, and many many other products across the board.