Author Topic: Simple Amp Build, In Mk3 Gti  (Read 11298 times)

Offline mark-mk3gti

• I live here
Simple Amp Build, In Mk3 Gti
« on: 24 February 2010, 19:22 »
after lots of time messing about, its finally finished, just gotta build the sub box and also make a floor liner so it all matches, oh and cover the underside of the shelf so spekers arent so obvious, then thats it for my system, relaitively cheap, but works and hopefully not too heavy, its only an 8v so dont want it strugglin more than it has too! :)

system is, 5.25 vibe components and speaker ring adapters in standard locations, a jbl gt5a604e amp, pants sony headunit, caliber eq in glovebox (to componsate for hu) and will be a jbl 12" sub in arch build eventually, maybe in a box for a while,  simble but effective.

box on show

inside

speaker rings

perhaps need to get thay crease out of the bottom bit, but floor trim panel will cover it eventually
 :smiley:

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
Re: Simple Amp Build, In Mk3 Gti
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2010, 20:36 »
was there a reason you went down a size in front speakers?

Offline mark-mk3gti

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2010, 21:07 »
There were 2reasons really, 1 I got the speakers for 20 reduced from 65odd, the rings were 3quid, and your meant to get a clearer sound from 5.25,
however I'm not that amazed with em, my Saxo had jbl power 5.25s in it and they were miles better, so wen I got my sub in will have to see what it's like, and I may change them, just on a budget at mo cos prob need a bit of bodywork doing later this year, 

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2010, 21:21 »
your meant to get a clearer sound from 5.25,

The main difference is a large reduction is bass output over 6.5's. C

gti190

« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2010, 09:36 »

If you can cap the cabin speakers at 80htz that will help somewhat with the bass response.  With such little speakers, I would also consider capping them at 120htz and running your sub from 120htz down.

How good this sounds will depend on the quality of your sub and how much power your amp can deilver to it.

If you are running a sub at 120htz then it may be better to have the sub firing directly into the cabin through the parcel shelf. More work I know but probably worth it for the sound quality.

Personally, unless your multi channel amp is very powerful, I would run another amp purely for the sub.

A.J.

Offline mark-mk3gti

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2010, 21:52 »
Hi there, yeah fronts are capped at 120mhz, 6x9 are capped at 80mhz I think, and wen I get my sub i've got a smaller amp which is going under passenger seat so I run the 6x9s as rear fill, and use the better amp for front and sub, always had 12" subs so getting same again and will cap at 120mhz if not a bit lower, depends how it sounds, jbl amp is 4x60rms which is fine for me, don't want to be bouncing, lol, not like my days of youth, so prob get somet like the jbl 1202d or the single coil one whichis cheaper still,
I think I'll be getting 6.5s at some point but car needs a bit of work first now, as all 14yr old golfs do. :)

kells

« Reply #6 on: 01 March 2010, 17:52 »
like what you have dome with the amp, looks cool

not sure why you want to use Junk But Loud stuff tho (JBL)  i find they make terrible car audio, for my speakers i use focal and rainbow, try them and you wont ever want anything else

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #7 on: 01 March 2010, 18:14 »
I would not say all there gear is junk. Afterall Gary Biggs was sound quality world champion for years using there gear. A thing i like about JBL staff in the states is there technical guys know more about sound/audio and speak the truth rather than marketing BS all other (excluding one other) manufactures speak.
« Last Edit: 01 March 2010, 18:16 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 01 March 2010, 19:43 »
I would not say all there gear is junk

X2, the GT4 subs are pretty much legendary. You will have to spend much,much more to get anything better.

kells

« Reply #9 on: 02 March 2010, 20:44 »
JBL car audio is sh!te when you compair to brands like focal and rainbow, try it out, i used to think like you too

i run JBL in my home studio for my dj work so i do like JBL but their car stuff is below par, my opinion of course :wink: