Author Topic: Mk3 Soundsystem  (Read 6773 times)

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
Re: Mk3 Soundsystem
« Reply #10 on: 08 February 2009, 21:28 »
Why do people hate 6x9 so much? is it just cause they look tacky? i had mine in stealth shelf and they sounded great. to my ears anyway lol

Too many reasons to name but I will give it a go....

They advertise your stereo to anyone who cares to take a look through your back window, with a covered parcel shelf you can solve this one though.

They will confuse your brain into thinking the sound is coming from everywhere rather than from one place which is the eventual aim with stereo sound.
You can kind of get around this by not having your 6x9's running full range sound, only bass. However better results can be achieved by using a sub for this purpose.

They will be disturbed or in some cases cancelled out when using a sub in the boot.

They are oval which is strictly the wrong shape for speakers ( not that any difference would be noticeable in most cases)

They are designed, again in most cases to run from HU power and will not like being amped.

They are not generally as well built as a half decent set of components.

and the most important one is that they are unnecessary, they are just not needed in most cases, including yours.

The only time they are of any use at all is if for some reason you cannot have a sub and you are on a very strict budget ( like 30 quid). Even then though you would be better off saving a bit more money and buying some components and an amp ( and eventually a sub), which you already have.

6x9's also have their purpose as the proverbial ''gateway drug'' into the ''proper'' sub and amp world.

If you were not in bournmouth ( I assume from  your name ;)) I would invite you to come and have a listen to my and, see if you like that sound ;) The reason you probably liked the sound of your 6x9's before is because you were used to it.... now if I hear some rear speakers, any rear speakers at all, I want to rip my ears from my head, it is worse than hearing distortion.
The offer still stands TBH, if you are ever in the worcestershire area or fancy a journey you are welcome to have a listen.

« Last Edit: 08 February 2009, 23:38 by tommk3cab »

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #11 on: 08 February 2009, 23:31 »
Very good reasons there buddy, may I add to the above by saying 6x9s are generally the chav speaker of choice, go and look at almost any chavs car and you'll see a set of 6x9s. It's just tacky, even if they are stealthed away.

Components, sub and amp all the way, if you want to have rear speakers, some coaxial or components in the rear doors will do.

If you wanted to listen to a component and sub only setup, I can offer you to have a listen to see what it's like as I'm closer to Bournemouth than tommk3 ;) (sorry matey lol). You will notice the difference.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #12 on: 09 February 2009, 00:00 »
:rolleyes:

6x9's ftw, all the reasons mentioned above about them being sh!te are opinion, each to their own. when i ran my system without 6x9's it didnt sound as good with them running.

its all about having range to get more depth. type r comps and 6x9s soon, all amped and tuned, will sound immense!!!

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #13 on: 09 February 2009, 00:04 »
:rolleyes:

6x9's ftw, all the reasons mentioned above about them being sh!te are opinion, each to their own. when i ran my system without 6x9's it didnt sound as good with them running.

its all about having range to get more depth. type r comps and 6x9s soon, all amped and tuned, will sound immense!!!

Always gotta show off ain't ya :P

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 09 February 2009, 11:55 »
6x9's ftw, all the reasons mentioned above about them being sh!te are opinion.

unfortunately it is really not. It is proven fact.

opinion would be... I don't like the sound of them... which I don't.
The the reasons above explain some of the reasons why even you don't really like them, you just don't know it yet.
« Last Edit: 09 February 2009, 11:57 by tommk3cab »

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #15 on: 09 February 2009, 13:24 »
My very flash Sony 6x9's (red/silver) have been on an MDF parcel shelf for over 5 years now!

The only thing I may change them for is the Kenwood 7 x 10's in my Pug! :grin:

Nowt wrong with 6 x 9's at all. In fact sonically due to their shape they are more rigid than a round cone speaker, so actually produce cleaner bass!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 09 February 2009, 16:47 »
Nowt wrong with 6 x 9's at all. In fact sonically due to their shape they are more rigid than a round cone speaker, so actually produce cleaner bass!
orly?

Offline bmouthboyo

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 09 February 2009, 19:00 »
tinki  opened a can of worms lol

Reason i kinda shy away from sub is that i dont want to have to buy power cap, spare battery, amp, sub etc
plus around here there is nothing more chavvy than a sub blairing out lol

im going to run 2 set of components, last question is i have my type r that are very good and some half decent ones i picked off ebay, should i have best at front or back?

cheers

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 09 February 2009, 20:06 »

Reason i kinda shy away from sub is that i dont want to have to buy power cap, spare battery, amp, sub etc

im going to run 2 set of components, last question is i have my type r that are very good and some half decent ones i picked off ebay, should i have best at front or back?

cheers

best at front, why? funnily enough, back to the 6x9's!

which way do you ears point when you sit in the car?
where are you sat when you are in the car ( driving ;))

you won't need a powercap if you have a sub, you won't need a power cap ever unless you want a pretty thing to look at ( they are functionless in other words)

If you don't want to hear a sub then decent deadening should sort that out ;) and correct tuning of course.

you have PM.

Offline eightyeightmph

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 10 February 2009, 14:37 »

cheers

You don't need a power cap or extra battery to run an amp & sub dude! :D

I've been accumulating over the past few weeks & fitted this lot in my boot recently fore the pricely sum of £37 + P&P ;)

Shop around & you'll pick up bargains!

Alpine 2x90W Amp was a tenner
Alpine 12" Sub in box was £20
Phonos (gold plated) £7
Amp wiring kit was out of a car at the scrappy for free

I listen to rock, metal & on the odd occasion some drum & bass, nothing chavvy about it, just makes everything sound loads better! :D
2016 GOLF GTD