Author Topic: Mk3 Soundsystem  (Read 6766 times)

Offline bmouthboyo

• Here all the time
Mk3 Soundsystem
« on: 02 February 2009, 13:15 »
Hi everyone just a few quick questions.

From my old car i have some alpine type r 6.5 inch components which i am planning on using in the front doors of my 3 door mk3.

I i guess its easier to buy some new speakers for back as my parcel shelf isnt strong enough for 6x9 really, my question is should i buy another set of components or shall i buy some coaxials? I'm thinkin co axials as they would probably handle the lower range bass better than 2 sets of components.

Also i am hooking this up to my pheonix gold 4 channel amp, is there a good hole in the engine bay to wire power to it in the boot?

thanks

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
Re: Mk3 Soundsystem
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2009, 11:52 »
First things first, don't bother with any type of rear speakers.

In my car I have 3 speakers (technically 5 if you include the tweeters). I have a set of components and a sub, all running off an amp, you don't need 6x9s, that's just chavtastic lol! OEM look is what it's all about, rear speakers will only take the sound away from the front which is where you want the sound stage to actually be.

The sound I get is phenomenal. I love it, the only thing I plan on doing is getting a better amp in the summer.

Offline eightyeightmph

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2009, 21:39 »
If you look behind the lower shelf from the front passenger footwell (under the glovebox) you'll see where the main loom goes through the bulkhead, ideal for power to the amp as it's inline with the battery, easy to get too & feed under all the plastic trim out of site! :afro:

Did mind today! :)
2016 GOLF GTD

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2009, 12:40 »
Each to their own Shady!

I have two sets of components in the 4 doors run from the H/U and 6x9's on the shelf and a 10" sub both run from an amp.

I would say try the 6x9's and if you like the sound then keep it!

Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2009, 13:03 »
Each to their own Shady!

I have two sets of components in the 4 doors run from the H/U and 6x9's on the shelf and a 10" sub both run from an amp.

I would say try the 6x9's and if you like the sound then keep it!

Oh I know lol! But I prefer my setup as is :), the only thing I plan to do it get a more powerful amp, probably get a 2 channel and a mono amp, to provide extra power to them both :)

Offline bmouthboyo

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 06 February 2009, 17:27 »
Thanks for advice so far,

I already have my old 4 channel amp and i don't think i could bridge 2 channels for an amp and get decent power so I'm going down the 4 speaker root.

I do have my 6x9 still and with my components they sounded great in my old car but i had a acoustic stealth shelf and in my golf i have a flimsy shelf so really want to shy away.

I'm basically thinking components in front and either component or coaxial in back???

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2009, 14:33 »
Thanks for advice so far,

I already have my old 4 channel amp and i don't think i could bridge 2 channels for an amp and get decent power so I'm going down the 4 speaker root.

I do have my 6x9 still and with my components they sounded great in my old car but i had a acoustic stealth shelf and in my golf i have a flimsy shelf so really want to shy away.

I'm basically thinking components in front and either component or coaxial in back???

why can you not bridge it to get decent power?

If you must have any speakers in the back then I would only go for coax. Rip the tweeter out of them too if you can, or cut the wires going to it.

best bet is to bridge the 4ch to create two channels and use them for the front comps. leave the coax's running from the HU.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #7 on: 07 February 2009, 19:57 »
you need to 6x9s!!!! they give you low range sound and give the sound more depth. type r component set is awesome, and is what i am looking at getting at some point.

using the 4 channel, run the the 6x9's and front comps off that. should sound awesome with a monoblock/sub setup too!

and as 88 said, there is hole under the glove box. in the bay, it is sort of under the coolant tank, it is a black rubber circle on the bulkhead.

LL ;)

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 08 February 2009, 20:25 »
you need to 6x9s!!!! they give you low range sound and give the sound more depth.

really? or are you joking? I hope so.

Offline bmouthboyo

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 08 February 2009, 21:06 »
you need to 6x9s!!!! they give you low range sound and give the sound more depth. type r component set is awesome, and is what i am looking at getting at some point.

using the 4 channel, run the the 6x9's and front comps off that. should sound awesome with a monoblock/sub setup too!

and as 88 said, there is hole under the glove box. in the bay, it is sort of under the coolant tank, it is a black rubber circle on the bulkhead.

LL ;)

Thanks for the advice mate thats good help, I won a set of JBL components locally of ebay so will try them running on he amp, so basically 2 sets of components, hopefully i can get the base i achieved with my old 6x9's.

Why do people hate 6x9 so much? is it just cause they look tacky? i had mine in stealth shelf and they sounded great. to my ears anyway lol