Author Topic: Installing sub & amp into a MK3 - suggestions?  (Read 9429 times)

Offline troublestarter

• I live here
Re: Installing sub & amp into a MK3 - suggestions?
« Reply #20 on: 28 January 2009, 20:58 »
here are a couple of pics of a mk3 i did for one of my customers

www.awesomeautomotive.co.uk<br />mobile vehicle security & audio fitting service<br />insurance accredited

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #21 on: 28 January 2009, 21:32 »
^ thats pretty awesome m8! ^

wud like to have something like that in my boot, dnt use the space really, use back seats for luggage.

alpine ftw!

Offline eightyeightmph

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 29 January 2009, 09:51 »
5 Door unfortunately, thanks though! :)

I don't know the MKIII well at all, but there may be room behind the side wall carpet in the boot for the amp to accomplish something similar. Just a suggestion. I just think that exposing an amplifier with a high amp cable attached to it is a little risky, especially in the boot where, me especially, there may be a toolbox rattling around.

That's what I'm getting at, I use my boot almost daily, will have a look at the Amp going in the side pocket, that's a good idea! :)
2016 GOLF GTD

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 02 February 2009, 11:55 »
that install will weigh a tonne but if your not botherd about that then whip out the mdf!!

Offline shakeyjake

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 02 February 2009, 12:18 »
i got some 5mm mdf, traced around the boot carpet cut it to shape and it wedges in between the sides of the boot. trimmed it in black felt and screwed the sub to that, and screwed the amp to the back of the sub still have alot of boot space :smiley:

Offline eightyeightmph

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 03 February 2009, 00:15 »
Ok, the amp finally arrived today so it's all systems go for tomorrow.

Just a quick question, what size fuse should go in the power lead from the battery to the amp? The amp already has a 20A fuse in it, so Im guessing the same? :huh:

Going to see what the velcro is like, if it holds then I'll just put a cable on the box to fix it to the body in the boot somewhere. :afro:

If it doesn't hold then I'll look at something else, perhaps an MDF false floor under the carpet or something - still working it out.  :undecided:
2016 GOLF GTD

Offline eightyeightmph

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 03 February 2009, 10:48 »
Looking at other amp wiring kits, 30A seems to be the norm so I'll go with that.

Off to get some velcro now so keep you posted!  :smiley:
2016 GOLF GTD

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #27 on: 03 February 2009, 10:52 »
30amp fuse and a false floor is best.. get to b&q and but some mdf (£7ish). It will make getting to the spare much easier (otherwise you mught need to remove the sub to get at the spare!)
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline eightyeightmph

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 03 February 2009, 10:56 »
30amp fuse and a false floor is best.. get to b&q and but some mdf (£7ish). It will make getting to the spare much easier (otherwise you mught need to remove the sub to get at the spare!)

That's sort of the plan with having it 'temporary' installed, want to be able to drop the amp & sub out when I need to use the boot.

Will try the velcro first as that would be ideal & see how it goes. :)

Thanks for confirming the fuse too! :afro:
2016 GOLF GTD

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #29 on: 03 February 2009, 11:00 »
I use velcro for mine, and I've found is I need to get to the spare wheel (where the widow make is lol) I can push my sub back at a slant by moving the back seats forward. However in the summer, I do intend on doing some sort of boot build. Originally was going to fill the spare wheel well with fibreglass and put the sub in the, but think what I'll do now is used the left and right hand sides instead, with sub and amp in each.