Author Topic: Installing sub & amp into a MK3 - suggestions?  (Read 9433 times)

Offline eightyeightmph

• I live here
Installing sub & amp into a MK3 - suggestions?
« on: 27 January 2009, 20:00 »
So after upgrading from my Sony H/U to the Alpine CDE 9881R

I've got this Alpine V-Power MRP-T130 (2x90W) Amp;

and an Alpine Type D 12" Sub, in a standard box;

It's time to put it altogether :)

My question is, how do I fix the sub box in the boot? Ultimately I'll do a custom sub box but havn't got the time or £££ at the moment.

I've placed the box in the boot & the angle isn't the same as the back seat, I was hoping to use velcro to keep it in place but don't think velcro will hold on just the boot mat carpet!?

Any suggestions?

Also is it ok to attach the amp to the sub box or is there a better place for it?

Thanks! :afro:
2016 GOLF GTD

sharpie

Re: Installing sub & amp into a MK3 - suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2009, 20:16 »
velcro it down in the boot - that way, if you happen to crash, it will continue through the rear seats into the middle of your back.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2009, 20:26 »
velcro works a treat m8, just stick lengths of "hoop" together and stick like 4/5 strips on the bottom of the box and then should stop the box from rolling around. does for me!

amp - screw into back of seats behind where the sub is going.

LL ;)

Offline eightyeightmph

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2009, 20:35 »
velcro it down in the boot - that way, if you happen to crash, it will continue through the rear seats into the middle of your back.

Aww thanks for your concern dude, I think it would have to be going some to go through the back seat though! ;)

You don't seem to know a great deal, you always boohoo other peoples suggestions but don't seem to have any of your own? :afro:
2016 GOLF GTD

Offline eightyeightmph

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2009, 20:36 »
velcro works a treat m8, just stick lengths of "hoop" together and stick like 4/5 strips on the bottom of the box and then should stop the box from rolling around. does for me!

amp - screw into back of seats behind where the sub is going.

LL ;)

Was thinking of doing the whole of the base but not sure, might fabricate a strap off some sort to anchor it just to be on the safe side.

Amp on the back seat should be ok, any reason why it can't go on the sub box though? :huh:
2016 GOLF GTD

sharpie

« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2009, 20:49 »
Aww thanks for your concern dude, I think it would have to be going some to go through the back seat though! ;)
there was an episode of fifth gear in the last season where cars were crash tested with stuff in the boot. even bags of shopping went flying through the rear seats into the cabin. a box of tools/ a sub would definitely do some damage.

You don't seem to know a great deal, you always boohoo other peoples suggestions but don't seem to have any of your own? :afro:
here's my suggestion: don't put a heavy sub in an already heavy car.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2009, 20:58 »
f*** that i got 2!!! you gotta have the mega bass of the go!!!!

you could cover the base, would be make sense. i dnt even think i got much at all on my double box, and it dont move.

it doesnt help that the boot floor isnt flat though.

Offline eightyeightmph

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2009, 21:13 »

Damn, I should of said 'useful suggestions'  :rolleyes:

I can't help but laugh at everything you say, you seriously expect anyone to take advice of a gay guy who drives an MGF!  :grin:
2016 GOLF GTD

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2009, 21:15 »

Damn, I should of said 'useful suggestions'  :rolleyes:

I can't help but laugh at everything you say, you seriously expect anyone to take advice of a gay guy who drives an MGF!  :grin:

who drives an mgf!?!?!?!? PMSL!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

sharpie

« Reply #9 on: 27 January 2009, 21:15 »
it's no secret i drive an mgf. at the end of the day - when i crash, i won't have bits of audio equipment crushing me.