Author Topic: Mk2 GTI 16v newbie  (Read 556 times)

Offline JRC

• Not said much yet
Mk2 GTI 16v newbie
« on: 19 April 2008, 21:40 »
Hiya all

I've just bought a 1992 16v gti and I need some advice.  It's unmodified and I've only owned it for a week but the engine seems to be sluggish.  It only seems to kick in when you plant your foot on the floor.  It's fast, but it's not quick! it revs ok but there is a noticable blip around 1500 rpm.

I've booked it in for a mobile diagnostic tuning next week, but any extra info would be great.  Is it a blocked air filter, old plugs, blocked injectors etc...  the acceleration just isn't as good as I expected.

also the car came with no paperwork relating to maintenance so taking it for granted that nothing has been done what should I look out for seeing as the car has done 158K.

many thanks

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
Re: Mk2 GTI 16v newbie
« Reply #1 on: 19 April 2008, 21:58 »
Well - lets hope you got a FAT Wallet

If you dont know when the cam belt was last changed - I would make that number one job

After that - oil n flter change - air filter - plugs - leads - rotor arm n dizzy cap - leads

oh and now your skint - make sure all the pipework is intact and connected properly - air leaks arent good  :wink:

And good choice - hello and welcome  :cool:

Offline JRC

• Not said much yet
Re: Mk2 GTI 16v newbie
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2008, 22:37 »
Cheers for the pointers!   this the first GTI i've had.  Only other VAG's are a 1995 1.3 MK2 3 door in mars red which has been in my garage for the last 8 years, and a MK5 GT TDI 140 company car which was great to drive.

I just need a bit of knowledge on the GTI.

It drives fine...no leaks or smoke..just a bit sluggish.

I'll wait and see what the tech guy says.