Author Topic: grungeisdead - "project muppet another mk1 joins the flock"  (Read 56669 times)

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
Re: grungeisdead - "project muppet another mk1 joins the flock"
« Reply #70 on: 21 September 2008, 23:40 »
Few pictures of the work in progress, didnt bother taking any pics of the events of cubing a mk3 polo gt, or any of the stripping or engine swaps mainly because we were earlier using the phone as a light, covered in muck or battery was dead!

the carb of doom

Gt lump fitted

Beached Whale

Anyway heres my to do list and the things i need to get list, luckily uncle steve has a search in his alladins cave and found most of the bits i need woop woop!

OS Driveshaft Hub Needs Washer
Driveshafts need torquing up
Fit two new bleed nipples on front calipers and bleed brakes
Refit Dizzy
Clamp for lower rad hose
Extend Rad fan switch wires
Spade Terminal connectors on fan plug (due to clearance issues with top rad hose)
Fit Top Rad Hose
Fit Black Temp Sender
Bolt up thermo housing
Bolt up water pump
Fit Throttle Cable
Find Vaccuum Hoses
Make Hole in Firewall for ECU Loom
Fill with sundries - oil & coolant
Refit 5 Speed Gear Linkage
Clamp up remaining fuel lines
Wire Up Lambda Probe
Wire up Fuel Pump & Splice dash loom into GT fusebox
Set Static Timing - After Fitting new Camshaft pulley & Woodruff Key

Things to Buy
-
Coolant
New Steering Arms
Water Pump Bolts x 3
Thermo Housing Bolts M8 x 32
Few m's or wire
Camshaft Pulley & Woodruff key - 030 109 111
Heavy Duty Exhaust Rubber x 1
Spade Terminals (Front Indics/Rad Fan)
Bullect Connectors (Lamnda/Rad Fan Switch)
Jubilees (Y Piece for Header Tank Plumbing,Fuel Lines)

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #71 on: 28 October 2008, 19:25 »
well progress has been slow recently, hampered by the lack of a runnign motor to get me back and forth to the units.

bought this lil beasty the other day tho

just a lil runaround but going to stick the OZ routes on there and a brand new remus exhaust thats for the lupolo but itll go back on when its ready

fitted the lupo engine today, was on my own but still managed it mainly thanks for a trusty 3 tonne low loader jack that managed to beast the car into the air. probably slightly unsafe with the lack of axle stands but job was a good un

Still need to bolt the rear gearbox mount, just needs jacking up from the back now the car is back on all wheels.

Next job is to assess if i can use a mk3 alternator with the gti alternator pulley.

w00t

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #72 on: 30 October 2008, 23:19 »
Got all the mounts bolted up today w00t

ive got a captive nut for the left bolt just couldnt find it but itll be going on

and some piccies of the wings and rear panel in paint thanks to karl

holy moly

jobs for the next couple of weeks

rebuild inner cvs, clean out and regrease
fit driveshafts
swap tyres onto oz routes
fit new master cylinder & brake pedal
fit new brake lines throughout
refit calipers and discs
check clearance for mk1 golf rad
fit oil catch tank
fit lights, bumpers and grill

thatll keep me busy while i start to dechipher the lupo loom and make my new megasquirt loom up and find someone who can weld me some box section to my recaro mounts and harness mounting point.

also on the agenda for the crashbot

fit 256mm conversion
refit mk1 polo engine loom and use part of the GT engine loom (weve already wired up the fuel pump)
source and fit a new/good used drivers side tie rod arm
drop engine, drill out rounded intermediary pulley bolt and fit new bolts, cambelt and waterpump

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #73 on: 10 November 2008, 22:30 »
i need an engine crane, its decided. this fliping agro bottom pulley bolt is fliping me off and im going to have to lift the engine out the bay to attack it with a drill! or just drop it out the bottom but after the pia we had getting the rear gearbox mount lined up i cba arggggggh

anyway stuck the chrome bumpers on the lupolo just to please me after a day of agro!

rear panel and the sides of the rear 1/4 and front wings have been sprayed, ive also noticed a spot of por15 i forgot to get on the front panel, its well annoying me and my por15 has set harder than a mofo

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #74 on: 16 December 2008, 02:55 »
Well this has been taking up most of my time lately :lol:

Model:

1989 Coupe S

Engine:

1272cc 8v - MH

Suspension:

Standard Shocks \ Springs
Wiechers TCA Brace

Brakes:

239mm Discs w/ VW1 Calipers + Std Rear Drums

Wheels and Tyres:

14 x  7 OZ Routes + 195/45/14 Pirelli's

Exterior Styling:

Homebrew Rear Light Tints similar to Late Mk3 Spec
Removed Rub Strips
Remus Exhaust

Interior Styling:

Schroth Harnesses with Safety Devices Pre-Tensioners
Black Seats with Yellow Checkers

ICE and Security:

Cat 2 Alarm / Immobiiser, ICE used to be my ipod now I've upgraded to a donated mp3 from a mate and two poop std rear speakers =D

Comments:

Bought this car off Lucy as a daily runaboutu while i finished the engine conversion on my previous daily which failed on me =[ . The car was previously owned by Manked Out now Blug on the forums, a good friend of mine and he was pleased to see the car coming back to manchester. Previous owner to that was a gentleman named Ade, who now has a scooby powered T4 bus =D

Anyway the little Coupe S is on 115k,   The Car runs sweet as a nut, as was absolutely faultless bar misfiring and loss of power on sporadic random occasions. I decided the best course of action was a mini service, new Spark Plugs / Leads / Oil Change / Oil & Air Filter, still didnt solve it. So next step was to rule out the Hall Sender. Got a known working MH dizzy off Manked Out and still the misfire would rear its head. I could always get to my destination as 2 minutes idle time and we were good to go again.

After taking the airbox off, we cleaned out the oil breather pod, replaced a few vacuums and reinstalled the previously missing exhaust heatsheild, as the current ducting just wasnt feeding enough warm air into the carb. After getting the heatsheield on thanks to Karl all is good, its a mk1 polo one at the moment, will stick a mk2 one soon as the outlet hole is the same diamter as m y current tubing but it seems like the problems resolved.

I've done about 2k miles in it since I've owned it and loving every minute

Fitting very soon.

256mm Discs G60 Front Calipers
G40 Steering Damper
G40 Tie Rods
G40 TCAs
PPS Subframe

Future Plans

TCA->ARB Polybushes
Rear GT Axle (Paint up & Rebuild with 200mm Passat Drums)
Refit Rear Axle with New Axle Bushes
Fit Tartan Recaros
GT Engine possibly or Twin Choke Weber

Your Input is appreiciated =D

As she stood as i bought her

Rocking Tear drops and mk1 polo chrome bumpers

On OZ routes but std bumpers back on

As she stands, rub strips now off

Probably shouldn't have bought these :lol: but whatdyaknow

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #75 on: 01 January 2009, 21:42 »
Had a productive xmas/new years spell

- Tidied up Stereo Wiring and got the power ariel working on a switch
- Tidied up harness pre tensionier wiring
- Ordered HnR Cup Kit 70/60 and G-Ladersiete Outer TCA Polybushes
- Got a new glovebox as my ones fubarred
- Got 2 bare mk3 struts which im going to wire-brush, paint and get new vag bearings pressed in
- Went on a 300 mile round trip for pick up a full custom exhaust that was fitted on a mk2 loon for 60 miles and fitted that with the help of friends, chopped down the tailpipe as it stuck out miles. not decided on where i want the final chop to be and if im going for an upswept. But its a straight-through mid section with single silencer and sounds amazing =]

we picked up the banded steelies too, they are proper nice and were welded by a qualified engineer and welder, happy days.

they will be coming to a very special vw, not one of mine however but on loan to a very good friend

smart right angled valves

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #76 on: 13 January 2009, 04:15 »
Well with the help of Karl and Yeti, we managed to get the following fitted over the last couple of days.

PPS Subframe/Wishbone Conversion
HnR Cup Kit 60/60
10mm Lowering Top Caps
G40 Track Control Arms with G-Ladersiete Bushes
G40 Steering Rack Bracket, Steering Arms & Damper

I'll get to feel the real benefits when i get it tracked up tomorrow and I'm not used to the steering damper, it makes the steering feel far lighter, tis like power steering *bleurgh* I'm sure alot of that lightness will be removed when the tracking is set bang on, and ill just have to get used to it, but i think i might take it off in a month or so and see the difference it makes on its own.

Right pictures time, unfortunatly as i ran out of battery i didnt take any of the subframe fitted from underneath, or during the fitting of the steering arms and damper (as its not very interesting :lol:)

one bare mk3 underside

yeti man showing us one of the 1001 uses of a vice =D

front strut built up with g40 tca

karl and me had to enlarge two of the holes on the passenger side arb mounting point as it was about 2.5mm. We first had the worlds smallest file, then moved on to a big f**king drill and an even bigger drill bit and that was soon elongated enough in the right direction

old rear shocks

new shocks and springs fitted

Its a good job this lot was replaced as the existing suspension setup was pooned, every shock was buggered and both tca arb bushes were well past thier bests, also to say my brake pads and discs were a little thin was the understatement of 2009 :lol: Charamon let me borrow the use of her pads from dennis (her derby) and steve refaced some discs for me, until i can get new bleed nipples for the 256mm brakes as they are pretty much siezed to fook

beruit :lol:

i will take piccies tomorrow of the car lowered in zee daylight, may even wash it hahaha

but heres one for now, with prescillas lil red relative

also a note for anyone interested, the banded steels are for sale now, pm me if interested

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #77 on: 13 January 2009, 18:39 »
some pics in the daylight, car got its first hoover ever hahaha, it was like beruit since i use the floor as an ashtray since vw didnt decide to give the driver an ashtray on the right, grr

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #78 on: 09 February 2009, 00:20 »
Well I've had a little coupe s as a daily runner for the last few months, its done me nearly 6k faultless miles and gone through many changes

from this

to this

with this rather nice list of goodies

HnR Cup Kit - 60/60
PPS Subframe & Wishbone Conversion
10mm Lowering Top Caps
G40 Steering Damper
G40 Tie Rods
G40 TCAs
G-Laderseite TCA Polybushes
14 x 7 OZ Routes + 195/45/14 Pirelli's
Homebrew Rear Light Tints similar to Late Mk3 Spec
Removed Rub Strips
Custom S/S Exhaust - Single silencer system with straight through centre section, built by Custom Exhausts in Cymbran.
Cat 2 Alarm / Immobiliser

But then someone decided to put a mk1 golf gti small light up for swaps, so hes having the coupe s with std interior so i get to keep my bucket seats, harnesses and pretensioners and the subframe/wishbone conversion, straight swap but I'm putting 6 months tax on it

its a bit rotten in places but I've got all the neccessary repair panels and its taxed and tested for a year nearly so ill be able to drive it to me welder woop woop

itll be my first golf again since this happened :lol:

well this weekend was a bit of an epic one.

down to d-town after work friday for a chiller sesh with chazbots, karl and steve.

Saturday was fuelled by the best chilli bean, cheese and beans jacket potato, me and karl stripped the wee coupe of the subframe, stuck the old anti roll bar on and put the std interior back in, was a very chilled out affair and despite  it being freezing after 5 minutes of working we were well toasty

so all was good and we set off home for a beast of a lasagne and some motherflipin 51st state =D

soo sunday morning and the mission commenced

part1 was the trip down to wiltshire, 140 miles, epic amounts of snow, some huge hills, ice made driving on non main roads interesting to say the least and karl had to push us as we got beached at one point.

reverse rake merc, fuxxored

the petrol station car park, the dealer forecourt and car park was amusing

look at the snow on the roof :lol:

some nice scenery

we hit 120k =D

good bye old friend

old n new

hello new friend

the monkey finds a new home

wooop we made it to gios in cov

and i made it home in one piece back to manc

---

things that need looking at

fuel guage not working
headlight bubls need changing and uprated headlight loom
exhaust manifold gaskets need replacing
tracking needs doing
rust treatment and welding
fuel pump relay wiring needs a switch putting in adn the wiring looking at runs fine but needs the wire bridging
earth wiring for fuel beams and sometimes the brake with causes the radio to flick on and off, steering column earth possibly

bar that the car is fantastic, rapid and its good to be back in a mk1 goof again

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #79 on: 15 February 2009, 20:35 »
last night saw the golf get some attention

fresh oil/filter
throttle cable
clutch cable
320mm wheel and snap-off boss
polished filler cap

this weekend I've got a few jobs to do

4 branch and ss exhaust
missing linkz short sh!t kit and rebuild gear linkage
change gearbox oil
coolant flush and change
polished coil and top rad cover
replace windscreen
replace throttle pedal rubber
good wash and polish

saturday

Woke up at 12 and met Jimsiss and his mate at the unit at 1.

sorted out james a megasquirt (an ecu not a shady spunkface in the corner) and then proceed to whip off the exhaust system and inlet manifold off the golf, ready for a 4 branch and magnex stainless steel system that would be arriving with the new mk1 golf.

That was a f**king mission and a half and in the end i ended up making it meet mr angle grinder.

the mk1 golf was collected at 3 =O lazy bastards i thought they were gonna get it at 10 grrrrrrrrr so it came to me at 7.

got the 4 branch on (eventually, one bolt was being a reet can't), inlet manifold unfortunatly when i took it off the inlet manifold gasket was goosed and i had no spare, or any hermatite! ghey, bodged anyway. rest of the exhaust system fitted, the middle section was easy, and all the rubbers went on a treat after some kettle action, but the rear was a twit as its a golf and its over teh axle! gheyors.

after f**king about for time i just did some rather precarious uber jacking and it was one, hurrah.

good to go then to the gangsters ball hurrah, pack everything up, lock everythign way, put sh!t in the car, get changed, get in the car, start her up. wont idle and tappety like a mother nice person when revving. grrrrrrrrr beruity inlet manifold gasket =[

my phone battery ran out at like 7 o clock so fitted the 4 branch, inlet manifold, exhaust, anti roll bar was all done in near enough darkness under the car so it took me aaaages grrr, probably why i missed the fact the gasket was so fooked.

so thought f**k it if i cant get to d-towns then I'm not sleeping over night at the unit cos i cant phone anyone for help, so ill try and get back home, hoping i didnt break down on one of the country lanes! finally got in at ten to 1.

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaastards. one a plus note the exhaust looks the bollocks and sounds sweet.

hope gsfs open tomorrow or i have an inlet manifold gasket in the house.

gayors

sunday

went to the unit and got an inlet manifold off a spare dx engine in the unit, car will idle fine now, but still tapping on idle and acceleration. going to retard? the engine a bit to see if i can stop the pinking (if it is that) otherwise i may have to suspect that the tappets need replacing, or are being starved of oil?

so the impending plans are the following, probably this weekend

new oil pump
new cambelt
new cambelt tensioner

and still need a replacement windscreen (anyone?)

got pictures of the grot spots, sent them to a few friends to see if they can help out asap. if your a mobile welder and fancy a go gimme a shout =]

and piccies of the exhaust fitted. i could have shut the door haha

and the golf meets another kindred